TXT 300 Pro 2007 Clutch Slip / Oil specification

FRV

Hi!

Got an old TXT some months ago in a bit ,,tired'' condition, but now it is almost perfect. Only one thing left - I noticed that clutch was slipping, when I was buying it. But the Owner said that Clutch disks were replaced recently.

After measuring the clutch pack it gave me around 9.9mm. Clutch disks were looking good too. I cleaned everything and put together. My guess was that previous owner used bad motor oil. So according to 2007 GG manual I put 550Ml of a good motoroil ( in my case Motorex CrossPower 10-50W). Now the clutch goes better - it is light on the lever, but still slips on 4th gear.. But it feels a bit better than it was before.

Recently I saw that 2014 GG manual says that you have to use 400ml of 75W oil?! But all parts are the same ( part numbers are identical for 2007 and 2014). Why is it so? Will it help, if I will use 400ml of 75W?

Also noticed at some forum that there are 3 clutch plates and they have different thickness. One of the users mentioned that the thickest one should be placed first or the clutch will slip.
What can you recommend to check additionally?

I have a 2007 250 pro and haven't noticed different thickness in the plates. There is a fine line between too thick and stiff pull and not thick enough and slipping. I noticed a lack of rear wheel jump when popping the clutch as the fibers wore down and the pull became easy. You can buy different thickness metal plates and/or this adjuster and even try sanding down new fibers slightly. I use ATF Type F oil. If you try the clutch of an expert rider, it will have a stiff pull.

https://www.splatshop.co.uk/xiu-rdi-adjustable-spring-clutch-support-plate.html

I use 550ml of Shell Rotella 10W30 semi-synthetic diesel oil in the gearbox of my 2008 GG TXTs (one mine, one my son's). I have had no issues and am happy with its performance. I believe that 30W >engine< oil is equivalent to about 75W >gear< oil, so be mindful of the type of oil you're using. And, yes, I have heard of numerous riders using ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) with good success as well. My philosophy has been to use an oil that's readily available and reasonable in cost, and then change it relatively frequently. So far, so good.

Edited by d2w

400ml is the amount people I know use in the pro bikes, and I believe the amount Factory Kev also recommends to use.

Oil, I've used a few in various age gassers but have settled on Rock Oil GearPro. PutolineGp10 also worked well, never used ATF so can't comment on that. Think it's wise to stick to one oil where possible.

As a fairly poor clubman rider, I have ridden expert riders bikes, two riding buddies own ex factory 300 gas gas uk bikes, neither have a heavy or stiff clutch, well setup definitely. Maybe I just got lucky and those bikes are just odd balls.

Edited by dan929

On 2/12/2020 at 2:00 PM, FRV said:

Hi!

Got an old TXT some months ago in a bit ,,tired'' condition, but now it is almost perfect. Only one thing left - I noticed that clutch was slipping, when I was buying it. But the Owner said that Clutch disks were replaced recently.

After measuring the clutch pack it gave me around 9.9mm. Clutch disks were looking good too. I cleaned everything and put together. My guess was that previous owner used bad motor oil. So according to 2007 GG manual I put 550Ml of a good motoroil ( in my case Motorex CrossPower 10-50W). Now the clutch goes better - it is light on the lever, but still slips on 4th gear.. But it feels a bit better than it was before.

Recently I saw that 2014 GG manual says that you have to use 400ml of 75W oil?! But all parts are the same ( part numbers are identical for 2007 and 2014). Why is it so? Will it help, if I will use 400ml of 75W?

Also noticed at some forum that there are 3 clutch plates and they have different thickness. One of the users mentioned that the thickest one should be placed first or the clutch will slip.
What can you recommend to check additionally?

It shouldn't slip with that thickness clutch pack,do you have some free play at the lever before it moves the master cylinder piston?ATF is the best oil to minimise clutch slip,try dextron 3 ,400 cc and see if it improves.Might not do it straight away,but you should see an improvement after about an hours riding 

Hello,

Does anyone have that referenced file https://nanopdf.com/download/protechnicalbulletinusajuly222013_pdf as an actual simple pdf which can be downloaded and printed WITHOUT having to agree to all of their damn terms and conditions and browser home page redirects and add-ons and ....? I would just like to have the bloody file. I'm sure Jim Snell wrote that info, so I don't see why I have to support nanopdf for his hard work.I read the info and it's very good, I would just like to have a copy for my own reference.

Thanks.