CDI failures

pauls320

Interesting, I read that they have improved the connector plug on the latest machines. Could the failures be contributed to a poorly designed plug on the cdi and water damaging the internals...possibly over use of a pressure washer here and there compounding problem? Be great to hear from factory tech or dealers take on this issue, just to clarify for potential purchasers and even current owners for something to be aware of.   

The jet wash is contributing I think, we do this every weekend in the uk. A friend of mine has in recent years owned a trs a vertigo and a gas gas. He didn't have the TRS vey long but did replace the cdi on the vertigo and the gas gas.

All 2t manufacturers are fitting hidara ignition systems at the moment. Waterproof grease sounds a good idea, can anyone recommend a brand ?

1 hour ago, tcrhino said:

A Vertigo doesn’t have a CDI box

Interesting.  I was just about to post saying that it was not uncommon to have CDI box problems on the RL250 Suzuki. The cure was to take them off and warm them up to dry out the internals. Just how the water got that deeply in is not clear as nobody really had a pressure washer in those days and the box was well protected under the tank. Worth a try?

11 hours ago, baldilocks said:

The jet wash is contributing I think, we do this every weekend in the uk. A friend of mine has in recent years owned a trs a vertigo and a gas gas. He didn't have the TRS vey long but did replace the cdi on the vertigo and the gas gas.

All 2t manufacturers are fitting hidara ignition systems at the moment. Waterproof grease sounds a good idea, can anyone recommend a brand ?

Any dielectric grease or silicone grease works well on electrics, clean all connections and apply liberally. 

• 1 month later...

I own TRS 300 2016. Last year in January my CDI died.

I bought a new one and since then the motorcycle has been working normally.

I never came to what caused the CDI module to be damaged.

You can find the history of damaged CDIs in this thread
"Trs 300 rr backfire then loss of power?"