4RT to 4T?

rr62

I’m about to change my bike. Had my Montesa 4RT 2016 from brand new. Hardly  ridden but nice to have a new bike (someone will get a minter in due course).

The brief is simple. Something that needs zero maintenance (bar usual ongoing stuff) and will chug though easy routes.

My question is (given above) should I go from Montesa to Beta? I’m not convinced on build quality or residuals of Beta versus Montesa.

Honest views?

22 minutes ago, rr62 said:

I’m about to change my bike. Had my Montesa 4RT 2016 from brand new. Hardly  ridden but nice to have a new bike (someone will get a minter in due course).

The brief is simple. Something that needs zero maintenance (bar usual ongoing stuff) and will chug though easy routes.

My question is (given above) should I go from Montesa to Beta? I’m not convinced on build quality or residuals of Beta versus Montesa.

Honest views?

Honest view - you have a hardly ridden 2016 bike (your words) 260 Mont..............why not keep that, as the 2020 Mont is just the same

Ask yourself, why aren't you riding it?

Is it an ornament?

Ride the one you have, instead

Trials bikes and zero maintenance don't mix, if you're not a fettler................don't buy a Trials bike

However if you want a Beta 4T, buy one................Just ride it more often or it's a waste and just an ornament

Edited by johnnyboxer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The family that I work for all ride 4RT`s. They are always trying to get me to change brands. I ride a 2T Beta. My son had a 2015 4T and loved it. He has a TRS 300 rr. He is going back to the Beta 4T. The only time my Boss`s son has won his class was on a borrowed Beta 4T. I give them hell about that all the time. But a new 301 sure looks good! 

1 hour ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

As regards maintenance, from what I can gather as a 4RT owner who considered a Beta after a while, once you've tried to do the valve clearances or change oil filters on a Beta then you'd wish you'd kept the 4RT.

Yeah it's hell undoing 3 bolts on a cover to access the oil filter on the Beta. Never had to adjust the valves on mine either, they were always within spec when checked

Personal taste before I upset any 4rt owners. I know they are superb build quality reliable etc and there are far more around than the beta. But, I much prefer riding the beta, find It much smoother from tickover. Power delivery is so smooth and linear just chugs away in any gear.  I’ve had 2 and never required anything other than the standard trials bike maintenance. 

Suspension etc more than good enough for me

59 minutes ago, petert said:

Yeah it's hell undoing 3 bolts on a cover to access the oil filter on the Beta. Never had to adjust the valves on mine either, they were always within spec when checked

You've only found the one filter then? I understood there were two. As regards checking valve clearances I, again, was led to understand this involved pivoting the motor on the mountings involving disconnection of carb on the inlet stub,  ditto exhaust, etc. 

i'd be delighted to find the above is not the case.for future purchase consideration.

there is actually 3 filters...one paper under the filter cover and two plastic 'tube' filters, one either side of the crankcase, behind a 12mm hex head bolt. These just need a swill out. Easier overall than removing the side casing on the 4RT and only one oil required and cheaper than the recommended Elf for the 4RT 

Valve clearance requires disconnection as stated by 2stroke4stroke above but you also need to remove the radiator and forward side frames. a couple of hours work. TBH its not much more to remove the engine all together which would make setting them a doddle and more accurate, plus you can service the swing arm bushes then as well.

we had an older 2007 4rt... unfortunately it suffered from a few faults that were difficult to trace without a spare bike to swap components...turned out to be an intermittent ECU fault.

now we have two Beta 3004T's....

finish machined quality probably isn't up to the Honda standard but its plenty good enough. Having a carb makes fueling issues easier to remedy - although in theory the ECU shouldn't go wrong but its not unknown!

I believe the plastics are more durable now than earlier models

brakes not as good as some other bikes - recently rode a new 4T and a new TRS at a test day...brakes on the TRS were superb - disappointed with 4T brakes TBH!

suspension on the TRS was lovely but as a novice rider I couldn't 'out-ride' the beta ..and im sure a better rider wouldn't really find an issue either... 

lower idle makes 'chugging' easier - for me at least, my son can still wind his up and let it go as he did with the 4RT...if I try it, it leaves me behind! - I was originally looking for an Evo 250 4T after having ridden a 250 Rev4t but I don't find an issue with having the 300...its not as docile but you get used to it...increasing age and fear is now my enemy rather than the extra 50cc!

being a Beta, the steering gives a tighter turn.

cheaper 2nd hand but obviously cheaper again if you sell it on..

Overall, more than happy with the Beta4T's we have... not looking to change at all.... Cant say either of us would go back to a Montesa 4T but If I were changing, and after the test day, I could be tempted by a TRS! probably a 250TRS oneR if I had the funds.

all I can say is if you can then test ride one for a bit and try before you buy..

Honestly, i own a 2016 Factory Beta 3004t, and hated it when i first got it, took a long while to rejet it and get it to not stall when chugging thru a section, regearing, new 2019 updated style throttle all helped.  Tried a 2019 Beta Factory 3004t last year (it has a newer blackbox) and I thought it pulled nicer than my 2016.  I have tried the Monty 2017 repsol model, and felt the suspension was better than my Beta (with Ohlins shock).  I would just keep the Monty and look at upgrading the rear shock with a Showa unit.  Just my opinion, nothing nicer than a brand new bike. The new 301 Monty (other than the battleship grey) looks like a winner, your bike being low hours might well get a you good trade in price?