New Montesa Cota

Midlife Montesa

Hi all, I'm after advice, I have recently purchased a new trials bike. (Montesa Cota). I am after as much information as possible. I haven't ridden or owned a bike for over 20 years.. I'm 52 years old and my old bike was a montesa that I used to just have fun times on.. I never competed just rode with few friends on weekend.. after feeling I want to ride again.. I want to know what is the standard format after use to keep my new bike in great condition.. like cleaning lubricating all the important parts and with what products to use.. Any information will be beneficial as I'm not very mechanical, Thanks in advance.

IMG-20200201-WA0006.jpg

• Like 2

I wash off with suitable spray on cleaner - then start bike and let in warm up. While warming up I spray with wd40 - the non aerosol type - spray chain etc water should run if or evaporate . I then wipe over with an old towel to remove water and excess wd40 ( other brands available) . Then quick wizz up and down the drive apply brakes to generate some heat to dry of brakes .

cover with a blanket ready for following weekend 

You can use Muc-off or similar to spray on prior to cleaning, get yourself some dishwashing brushes as well, ideal for poking into places to clean where you can't get your hands , ( oooh Matron) and a lot of these cleaning product people make aftercare sprays as well, if you want.

i agree with Jimmyl, WD40 sprayed on and wiped in is ideal.

Edited by jonboy883
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

I wash off with suitable spray on cleaner - then start bike and let in warm up. While warming up I spray with wd40 - the non aerosol type - spray chain etc water should run if or evaporate . I then wipe over with an old towel to remove water and excess wd40 ( other brands available) . Then quick wizz up and down the drive apply brakes to generate some heat to dry of brakes .

cover with a blanket ready for following weekend 

Thanks for your time regarding information, I feel all the replies are very valuable. I just need alot of practice I guess to be able to ride it now..!!

I would suggest you clean the air filter every outing as the 4RT seems to collect a lot of dirt. It's easier if you use two and swap them. I recommend NoToil filter oil as it washes out with washing powder, no need to use petrol.  Coat the walls of the airbox with grease in order to catch any bits that get by the filter.

Basically you want to lubricate any point of movement, especially the rear linkage which will require a regular stripdown.  I also recommend you grease every thread you can get to now, before they sieze up to make future work easier.

I use whatever good quality 10/40 is on sale for the motor (it's always been Castrol Power 4T so far) and have settled on Rock Oil Lite for the gearbox but it won't take you much searching on here to see that there is a wide range of preference on that subject.

It may already exist but some old hand should do a Youtube video on the correct preparation and maintenance of a trials bike, using experience to show the "wrinkles" as they used to be called.

Ah yes, tyre presssures. Six front, four rear is a good starting point but local riders will best advise to suit the going.

I'm sure the 4RT starting technique was explained to you.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 3

Several air filters is a must. Don’t oil filter then put straight into bike as will be a pig to start - oil and leave to stand while you do the other stuff.

i always drop the pads out and clean inside callipers and give the pads a quick deglaze with a bit of sandpaper laid flat on the bench.

get some mesh and hot glue inside the mudguard to cover the vents - keeps loads of muck and water out.

you can also run a bead of silicon on

little mudguard extension to seal gap to mudguard 

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 1

First off, plug the exhaust and block off the air box entry. Rather than a pressure washer, a garden hose on domestic water pressure will get most of the large crud off....if you do not let it dry out i.e. harden. Thats what happens when you throw the bike in the garage/shed and bugger off down the pub??! Back to cleaning, after you have hosed as much crap off as is reasonably possible, make up a mix of wash and wax 50/50 in a sprayer and liberally spray  everywhere....thats on the bike! Leave for 3/4 minutes and then with a softish brush clean the wheel rims and hubs. Take care near any oil seals on any area of the bike as you can force dirt into the seals.....not good. Sponge to clean the plastics with lots of water and wash and wax (from a bucket) wash the bars snd controls. Tyres may need a scrub with a stiff brush, use a separate stiff brush for the chain. Don’t forget to clean under the mudguards....! Now hose off the whole bike and with a critical eye check for stowaways....lumps of crap still clinging on?....Happy....now if you have a compressor do not go mad and blast the water off, this will just drive moisture into all of the places you don't want it, use compressed air from a distance to the bike so it acts more like a drying draft like the wind. Use an absorbent cloth such as a soft bath towel....use the other half's if you have no old towels....micro fibre cloths are excellent for mopping up water and polishing....WD40 is an excellent product but it is also quite good at softening sticker adhesive, I prefer to use Silicon as a dressing for most parts of the bike. Obviously not any where on the brake surfaces. Now check you have not forced any water into the air box or exhaust, remove blocking plugs etc and air box drain caps to ensure no water is lurking about in the bottom of the air box. Gently operate the kick start to ease the piston over TDC. Make sure you have not dislodged the plug cap and try to start the engine. If it wont start as is usual for your bike, stop kicking and check fuel amount, kill switch in operate position, spare plug put into HT plug cap and swift kick to establish good spark or not, WD40 sprayed onto spark plug ( the one in the engine) and inside cap and refit.....try engine again...you may well need choke, don't forget the engine will have been chilled right down with all the cold water. If it still will not start, its something you have done will cleaning or introduced by way of water deluge. If it starts, shut the engine down, any residual heat will only cause condensation in the cylinder and exhaust.

Don’t wash your bike, car, van etc with warm or hot water, this reactivates any salts or chemicals and the hot water carries the residue into all of the crevices and ledges ...not good.

Use wash and wax as this helps hold back corrosion and gives a shine to smooth surfaces.

There you go all done, nice and clean ready to go into sleep mode until the next time. With the exhaust cold a spray of WD40 ( other products are available) onto the front pipe and silencer system will help prevent rusting/staining. Silicon spray on the rims, hubs, bars and plastics will help stop the next lot of mud etc from getting a hold when you next ride. Some old stagers wipe the frame and rims over with a rag lightly soaked in engine oil, gives a nice shine and leaves scratches to frames as scratches not rust areas. 

Happy cleaning.......I ‘ll be waiting for the “ah but.....” comments??

Edited by section swept

8 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

I would suggest you clean the air filter every outing as the 4RT seems to collect a lot of dirt. It's easier if you use two and swap them. I recommend NoToil filter oil as it washes out with washing powder, no need to use petrol.  Coat the walls of the airbox with grease in order to catch any bits that get by the filter.

Basically you want to lubricate any point of movement, especially the rear linkage which will require a regular stripdown.  I also recommend you grease every thread you can get to now, before they sieze up to make future work easier.

I use whatever good quality 10/40 is on sale for the motor (it's always been Castrol Power 4T so far) and have settled on Rock Oil Lite for the gearbox but it won't take you much searching on here to see that there is a wide range of preference on that subject.

It may already exist but some old hand should do a Youtube video on the correct preparation and maintenance of a trials bike, using experience to show the "wrinkles" as they used to be called.

Ah yes, tyre presssures. Six front, four rear is a good starting point but local riders will best advise to suit the going.

I'm sure the 4RT starting technique was explained to you.

Thanks for taking the time to post this valuable information.. I'm not mechanically minded but if it means looking after my new bike, I'm sure il learn very quickly.. thanks again