1975 Sherpa 250 model 150 TANK

Goodo

In the UK I think almosdt all Bultacos, Montesas and Ossas were sold with Aluminium petrol tanks and the M150 ones did have smooth side panels. The fiberglass ones had ridges on the sidepanels. Over here in Australia the Aluminium tanks are pretty rare. Graham.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Goodo said:

Hi all,new to all this but enjoying my 1st bultaco.ive been researching about.pics etc,am I correct in saying that the correct tank is a one piece unit ,incorporating smooth side panels?

cheers chaps

The correct one for the UK model is as bullylover says and its a Homerlite seat and tank unit with a monza style filler cap.  To see what it should look like, look at the Haynes manual front cover. Front Cover

The manual uses a model 151 which is the 350cc version of yours, the only difference being the engine.  There are also some good side shots etc in the manual.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for replying.im bloody lost on all this carry on.i have that manual and the pic on the front doesnt match any m150 in “real life” that I’ve seen.

i thought from looking around that that pic on the book is an earlier model.an origional sales brochure for “t” Sherpas doesn’t have that tank  in it at all.......

every time I go for a part it becomes a mystery lol

Good advice from @feetupfun as basically all Bultaco parts are interchangeable it is likely that this has happened!.

Frame number should be stamped on the headstock on the right hand (throttle side) of the bike.  Frame should be stamped PB-150xxxxx (where xxxxx is the series number).  P signifies 250 and B is Bastidor which is frame in Spanish.

Engine number should be stamped on the right hand crankcase (clutch side).  Engine should be stamped PM-150xxxxx (where xxxxx is the series number).  P signifies 250 and M is Motor.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Goodo said:

Thanks for replying.im bloody lost on all this carry on.i have that manual and the pic on the front doesnt match any m150 in “real life” that I’ve seen.

i thought from looking around that that pic on the book is an earlier model.an origional sales brochure for “t” Sherpas doesn’t have that tank  in it at all.......

every time I go for a part it becomes a mystery lol

The brochures always show the Spanish market models which would have the fibreglass slimline style tank and seat unit was first introduced on the M80 (well technically the Kit Campeon made available from the M49). 

Thanks for all replys.ive got my bike identified.i know it’s hot the wrong tank on.in an awful lot of internet search pics,people say the pic are of a m150 1975,when all the looking about ive done says “no it’s not” lol. The pic on the front of the manual mentioned earlier is deff not a m150 made in feb of 1975.

i got onto a mob in Spain that deal in parts,and the tank they said was for mine is the one ive been looking for and thought it was after all my research,still bleeding researching bits lol lol.all one piece with “flat “ side panels not the stepped one.

Hang on hang on lol!!!! Just re read your replys.sooooooo my bike your saying ,as it’s a UK one (got paperwork etc to show it is),sould have a metal tank on it (I know ,UK law)!!! But tank off a 72,73 model??????

Let's start again. You've said that your bike is a model 150. That is a 250cc model from 1974/75. These were manufactured with a fibreglass one piece tank seat unit in red with silver stripe, the side panels were ribbed. When they came to the UK the importers removed this tank unit and replaced it with an aluminium tank/seat unit in blue with silver stripe and which had smooth side panels under the seat. The bike on the front cover of the Haynes manual is exactly how your bike would have looked when sold except for the cylinder and head which were round, the bike on the manual has square cylinder and head as it is the 325cc version, model 151.

When ordering parts always quote the engine or frame number for engine / chassis parts. It's no use quoting a year if someone has replaced the engine or frame with a later or earlier model as parts you receive may not fit. Use the numbers.  These bikes are nearly 50 years old and in that time who knows what previous owners have done to them.

Why are you going to Spain for parts when you can get virtually everything in the UK from In Motion. They have a universal headlight which looks like the original Bultaco item. If you're fitting it to use on the road after dark you must have a death wish, a candle would be just as effective...

This picture of the blue bike shows the tank the M150 would have been sold with from new in the UK. Ignore the bike as it is an earlier model The picture of the red tank is the tank fitted by the factory

post-71-0-44971800-1351187880_thumb.jpgpost-71-0-85475800-1388939593_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1