Trials and Tyres

heavydabber

1 hour ago, baldilocks said:

I'd always buy Michelin,  for the trials I ride, predominantly rocks, they have been the best tyre for nearly 40 years. Tried Dunlop before , not really impressed but understand latest ones are better. IRC not a million miles away but no cheaper and easier to puncture?

Trials riders do make me laugh , people pay £100 for a sticker kit but don't own a pressure gauge and then run second rate tyres to save £20/£30.

So true, sat in a queue at a section, gives you a glimpse of some of the crap tyres on bikes

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

So true, sat in a queue at a section, gives you a glimpse of some of the crap tyres on bikes

Yes, many don't seem to realise the importance of pressure. I recall a tuition day we held and before we started we checked tyre pressures. One chap refused the offer, gave me a look that indicated I was clearly some sort of daft old buffer, and said "The bike's only two months old". I wonder what his car tyres were like.

• Haha 5

What used to surprise me was how many people would go through sections with way too much pressure in their rear tyres.

Even at places like the SSDT, where most riders should be on top of their game. Maybe they left them high for the road work, who knows?

Also, how many didn't realise that the last few miles of road work between sections will have increased their tyre pressure through heating the tyre and the air inside it. .

• Like 2

The SSDT is a special case. There is the roadwork aspect you refer to, not to mention the possibility of a pinch puncture on the moors, but many lesser lights would prefer a slightly higher score in sections to the time spent repairing a puncture (especially in the days of rear tubes), usually needed when they are running late anyway?