Magnetic kill switch help

Teddydanson

Hi. I’m be got 1999 gas gas 280.

it has a kill switch on the light switch, but I’m wanting to put a magnetic ? kill switch and lanyard on. Question is, I’ve sesrched and looked for a video or diagram, but all I can find is mx bikes. Can anyone help... I know they’ve only two wires? But where do they go. ??

It was usually the black wire coming out of  the CDI. It is beyond me why you want to put one on. I keep mine wrapped tight so it does not come off. Dumbest safety device ever. Right next to unspillable gas cans that end up spilling everywhere. The magnet can pop off by an abrupt hit, a bush can grab it, and scratching and itch or waving to a friend can cause you to crash.

• Like 1

It’s a safety precaution for my son. It’s a big difference from riding dirt bikes to trials... if he comes off it’s there for safety... 

ive has a quick look and can see any black wires? There’s a grey wire but I’ll have to in tape the loom and check in better light. 

Thanjs for the advice

On 2/16/2020 at 7:41 PM, lineaway said:

It is beyond me why you want to put one on. I keep mine wrapped tight so it does not come off. Dumbest safety device ever. Right next to unspillable gas cans that end up spilling everywhere. The magnet can pop off by an abrupt hit, a bush can grab it, and scratching and itch or waving to a friend can cause you to crash.

Much as I usually respect your opinions Lineaway, in this case you are totally wrong. I've never had the magnet pop off, it only once got pulled off by a bush (but I now re-route the lanyard to keep it well away from stray twigs) and I really can't think of many places where an itch can appear that can't be scratched with the right hand. On the other hand I've had numerous occasions where I've parted company from the bike and the engine has dutifully switched itself off, and I've seen quite a few people do the same and have their engine screaming its nuts off because they didn't have a magnetic switch.

The only downside to a lanyard switch is when you lose it (it only happened to me once). I've now split the wiring of the switch in two with a plug in between, so I can undo the plug and finish a trial if I lose the magnet.

• Like 1

Well if I am incorrect, why are they not used in every other dirt type motorsports? Worse yet is how many just completely fail, right out of the box or six months down the road. I see the reason in indoor and all the spectators in outdoors in the World rounds. As far as the throttle sticking wide open , a proper pair of bar ends is a device that does that job well.

I have seen more people lose events due to this device than any good it does.  

Edited by lineaway

Just spoke to a guy today who bought his lad a brand new bike and didn’t have the kill switch on. Come off the bike wenta it’s own way face planted and screamed it’s nuts off and siezed up £600 later the bikes running again. 

But it was just advice I wanted and thankful for

everybody has freedom of speech h. ??

The magnetic kill switch does have its Pros and Cons. Personally I do not use them.  Unless it is activated Before the motor is shrieking and on its way to destruction, it will not stop the process..only blocking the exhaust, engine destruction or stalling out will work  

On 2/23/2020 at 5:45 AM, lineaway said:

Well if I am incorrect, why are they not used in every other dirt type motorsports? Worse yet is how many just completely fail, right out of the box or six months down the road. I see the reason in indoor and all the spectators in outdoors in the World rounds. As far as the throttle sticking wide open , a proper pair of bar ends is a device that does that job well.

I have seen more people lose events due to this device than any good it does.  

I share your opinion of mag switches, but they are required for snowmobile racing. I assume they are mandated on Trials bikes as a safety issue for spectators, I see very little chance that they would ever prevent or minimize injury for a rider, and as you suggest they can cause an injurious dead engine crash. It seems many people consider them protection for the engine, personally I find paying for engine repairs preferable to hospital bills.

45 minutes ago, motovita said:

I share your opinion of mag switches, but they are required for snowmobile racing. I assume they are mandated on Trials bikes as a safety issue for spectators, I see very little chance that they would ever prevent or minimize injury for a rider, and as you suggest they can cause an injurious dead engine crash. It seems many people consider them protection for the engine, personally I find paying for engine repairs preferable to hospital bills.

I have medical insurance............. motorcycle doesn't.............

but that's just me being a smartass

• 2 weeks later...

All sorted. Fixed it at the weekend, traced it back from the coil, the light switch assembley on the bars is off I do not know? Whoever spliced it in has done s fantastic job. The main wire rom the coil changes colours 3 times in the switch block... but sorted and working well... he came off Saturday being a smart a*** and drove it into the ground, but it worked... ??

• Like 1