4RT tilt switch

oldlegs

I'm about to buy a 2015 Montesa 4RT and noticed there is no lanyard ignition cut out on the handle bars but there is a cut out switch on the frame near the head stock, the present owner said it does not need the lanyard type because they are fitted with a tilt switch which cuts the ignition as soon as the bike falls over, is this correct and can they be relied on or should I fit a lanyard type to be on the safe side if so do I just couple it up to the same wires that go to the stop switch on the frame ,Thanks Steve.

You are correct that to bypass the tilt switch its the outside two wires that need to be joined.  Unless your having an issue with the tilt switch I wouldn't bypass it as I have had my bike on top of me once where the lanyard did not disconnect and having the tilt switch was helpful.  (Though this is a rare situation)

If you expect to ride in conditions where you will become separated from the bike a lot I would fit a lanyard in place of the manual kill switch as the tilt switch can take a few seconds to kick in where the lanyard will stop the engine much quicker.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy the bike!

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Thanks 1

The bank angle sensor only kicks in after about 10 seconds. It is only there to protect the engine from protential damage due to oil starvation.  Don't rely on it. Fit either a kill switch or lanyard. 

Personally I link out the bank angle sensor and use the std kill switch

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Personally I'd fit a lanyard... And keep the bank angle sensor.  It's hardly considered heavy and if the bike does fall over for any reason and the kill switch/lanyard doesn't come off/kill the engine it's nice to know it will stop before any oil starvation... Leading to an expensive engine rebuild. For the sake of a few grams and not having to modify with the water tight wiring system I prefer to keep it in place and stay safe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thanks for all the replies so would I just connect the two wires from the new lanyard switch to the press the button switch wires and is it a standard fit on the 2015 4RT to have the engine stop button mounted on the right hand side of the frame near the headstock  thanks 

10 hours ago, mattv6 said:

No, the standard stop buttons were on the handle bars next to the clutch lever... A red push button. 

I still use one

If I was buying a new bike, I would go for that option to be refitted, over a lanyard affair

Button has served me well for 40 years

• Thanks 1