4RT Kill Switch Wiring

RC4

Hi! First post. I have just bought a 2014 4RT Repsol after 30+ years away from trials. The kill switch on the bike did not work and I decided to fit a Apico lanyard type. When I disconected the old switch I have two wires from the bike under the tank, a green wire and a black with white tracer wire. The new Apico switch has a brown (with a round eyelet) wire and a black (with bullit end) wire. I connected green to brown and black/white to black. The bike starts ok but the magnetic kill does not work and the bike continues to run. Any clues please? many thanks.

IMG_20200218_131646971_HDR.jpg

Firstly, start the bike with the wires unplugged and separated. When the bike is running, join the green and black together. The bike should stop. If it doesn't stop there could be a fault in the wiring. If it does stop then the fault is with the lanyard itself 

Edited by jrsunt
  • Like 1

Thank you for the feedback. Just to be clear, jrsunt are you now saying green to black? Earlier I thought you said green to brown. I have yet to try this but will tomorrow. 

The Apico lanyard is new out of the box. The original square press button was the standard fitment I think. 

Starting to think this is a wiring issue but will try all the suggestions first, once I get a meter. Thanks again.

The 4rt unlike some bikes needs the circuit to be closed to stop the bike - ie open circuit the bike runs .

it does not go to earth like done kill switches 

As Jr says join the 2 wires when running.

if it doesn’t stop check that the other end which is under tank is plugged into the multi plug under head stock.

what are the other 2 wires going too?

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. I have now started the bike and connected the two wires (green and black) from under the tank together, the bike continued to run. Looking under the tank I did see a small black block connecter that was not connected to anything and had just one wire to it, black with brown tracer. It did not lok like it had anything to do with the green and black wires that come from the main wiring. Not sure what to try next?

Just studying wiring diagram -the green looks to be the earth - the black and white comes from the ecu multi connector via the connectors under head stock.

Presume you should have 12v on the black and white and continuity from the green to the frame/earth point

• Like 1

Thanks jimmyl. I have had a better look under the tank. Its a bit tight and not sure how far to pull the tank back. Anyway i have attached an image of what I see. It appears the green & blk/white from under the tank both go back to the ecu. The green and black in the image go to the front under headstock plug with a blank above. You can probably tell, I am no electrician!  IMG_20200220_145152635.thumb.jpg.b3e1f4c14d9deb8151b77d39f5808831.jpg

Yeah that's the multi plug. You can be quite rough with those rubber boots so don't worry. I'd probably next disconnect that plug and create a link between the 2 pins in the female end to again see if the bike stops. If not then the issue lies further in the loom. 

Edited by jrsunt
  • Like 2

Problem Solved! Traced the two (green, blk/wht) wires back to the ECU and they were both badly coroded at the ECU. Cleaned up and all good now. Original red kill button switch works fine as does the new lanyard type. Many thanks for all your suggestions.

• Like 4