Water pump seal replacement

unospeeder

A quick search revealed nothing so here goes. Anyone had any luck replacing the water pump seal without splitting the case on a 4RT or the like? I hear rumors that is has been done but find nothing to back that up. I have the gaskets and such to split the case but I also have a trip pending this coming week and not a lot of time. I am hoping to be able to do the short fix then split the case and replace the oil seal as well once back from the trip. 

1 hour ago, jrsunt said:

No, you'll need to take the full clutch cover off to get at the seals. What age is the bike? If it's done a lot then you're probably better off replacing the shaft too as they get badly scored from the seals

Yeah. Once I dug in it was clear that pulling the primary off was the easier way to go. Bike is an 06 but with super low hours for a bike that age. The impeller shaft looks good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, monteeman said:

I would be replacing the shaft ,

lets face it, the seal hasn't just gone has it, something has made it leak, probably the shaft, no?

Unfortunately I could source all the parts in time for a trip this weekend with the exception of the shaft. Since the shaft has no scoring I decided to replace the oil and water seal and the bearing. Pulling the primary is not that much work so if it starts to leak again I will just do it all over including the shaft.

7 minutes ago, eagle8 said:

I would think that maybe the shaft has gone hard after sitting for a long time between rides, so the shaft maybe OK ?

That is the theory I am working with. The bike is an 06 that I picked up in 09 with very limited hours. I rode it on trails for a few years then it sat dormant, with the exception of 2 x times a year driveway ride. Last September I started riding it in trials and it has seen 85 hours since then. Given the appearance of the shaft logic holds that the seal(s) had deteriorated and hardened up. 

• Like 2