2019 4rt has died on me, cut out and would not start

54tphill

• 2 weeks later...

Ok .... update, I tried starting the bike few days after the last trial and it started straight up, I’ve been to a trial today and all seemed well but after an hour it cut out, struggled to start it, did a few more sections, turning the bike off at some sections whilst waiting in the queue, It was  starting back up ok then it cut out on me again in a section, then couldn’t get it going, waited 5 minutes, then it fired up, did a load more sections then after stopping breifly in a queue it would not start, after trying 20 times to kick it up and doing 6 resets I waited another 5 minutes and tried again, it fired up,

it’s as if the issue is when it’s hot , the fan comes on as it should, ...

I carried on riding and this time it cut out on me whilst in 4th gear riding at reasonable pace between sections , 

waitied 5 minutes and began the 20 kicks to fire it up, it started so I carried on, i by this point was on my last lap, I made it to the last but 4th section of my trial when it cut on again in the section, I waited 10 minutes and tried again to kick it up, it wouldn’t start, I pushed bast**d up the hill and back to the van, another 15 minutes later I tried to kick it up again to no avail, gave up and went home ... ??‍♂️

other info, this bike isn’t even a year old 

the bank sensor was removed 

new spark plug just fitted the other day, 

Edited by 54tphill

1 hour ago, 54tphill said:

no I didn’t , ??‍♂️ Do you still think that’s the problem ? 

if you haven't check the RPM at idle is at least 1800' when warm it really could be the issue. That is not 100% for sure but well worth making sure before calling it a more complex problem. 

Edited by jonnyc21

13 hours ago, 54tphill said:

Ok .... update, I tried starting the bike few days after the last trial and it started straight up, I’ve been to a trial today and all seemed well but after an hour it cut out, struggled to start it, did a few more sections, turning the bike off at some sections whilst waiting in the queue, It was  starting back up ok then it cut out on me again in a section, then couldn’t get it going, waited 5 minutes, then it fired up, did a load more sections then after stopping breifly in a queue it would not start, after trying 20 times to kick it up and doing 6 resets I waited another 5 minutes and tried again, it fired up,

it’s as if the issue is when it’s hot , the fan comes on as it should, ...

I carried on riding and this time it cut out on me whilst in 4th gear riding at reasonable pace between sections , 

waitied 5 minutes and began the 20 kicks to fire it up, it started so I carried on, i by this point was on my last lap, I made it to the last but 4th section of my trial when it cut on again in the section, I waited 10 minutes and tried again to kick it up, it wouldn’t start, I pushed bast**d up the hill and back to the van, another 15 minutes later I tried to kick it up again to no avail, gave up and went home ... ??‍♂️

other info, this bike isn’t even a year old 

the bank sensor was removed 

new spark plug just fitted the other day, 

Mine did the same, once..............riding between sections in 4th and it cut out, I nearly went over the bars.............just like it had run out of fuel

Stopped, restarted it and did a section fine, back along the same track in 4th and same again

So this was on Lap 1, struggled back to the paddock (numerous restarts and hiccups)

Topped up tank, but in reality it was virtually full and changed the plug

She ran right, for the rest of the Trial

A chap I know, who has one had a look at it and it turned out to be the tea bag filter, under the tank which was full of crap

Needs a 1800 rpm tickover though

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, jimmyl said:

lanyard and wiring ?

Tested the spark plug with the lanyard connected and it didn’t spark, with the lanyard disconnected it still didn’t spark, visually looking at the wires they seem to be ok,..... 

so what’s next? Change the HT lead ? ??‍♂️