2019 4rt has died on me, cut out and would not start

54tphill

Do you know someone with a similar bike to swop components over? This is probably the easiest way to trouble shoot without buying bits needlessly. 
check the basics first like the earth points... there is a yellow multi plug under the headstock with the earths in plus one on the coil. ecu multiplug is clean with no corrosion on the pins and all other electrical plugs are intact/clean ..same with the injector multiplug... there is a two pin black plug under the tank for the fuel pump, and a bunch under the seat next to the left hand side of the air box. 
you can try putting a 12v supply direct to the fuel pump... this will prove the pump is working if you disconnect the fuel line to show fuel out of the hose but it does pump at a good rate so beware also this will illuminate issues with the capacitor not having enough juice to power the pump and ecu..

you can try starting the bike with a 12v feed on the pump... if it does start I would suggest the capacitor is U/S or the wires from it are corroded

not sure if the ecu checks for spark before fuel or the other way around?... someone will confirm.

there is a regulator just in front of the rear spring... can’t remember now if this is ‘spark’ related but I’m sure someone will advise. 

One obvious thing .... I don’t suppose you’ve adjusted the idle too low?... you could just open up the idle screw on the throttle body.. large brass screw on the right hand side ... I thinks about 3 1/2 turns out should be about it but you could go a bit more to be sure.. idle needs to be 1800 rpm or it won’t start 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it was the fuel pump wires that got loose on me once and the ECU wouldn't give me any spark tell I fixed it... not likely the issue, but it was a cause of no spark and my bike just cutting out on me all of a sudden when I was riding it. 

Have you just removed bank angle sensor or has it been removed for a while?

check for corrosion in the plug  or if the link has come loose .

Somebody  had a dodgy ecu pin on the kill button circuit 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, thall1 said:

Have you got it running yet?

We undone each wire plug and spayed with gt85, we took the tank off and removed the pump to check out the filter, the tank was very clean and we were unsure how to separate the pump/filter so we put that back together and everything else , checked the spark plug again which was sparking, the bike fired up 1st keep.... I’ve now ordered an Apico hour meter to fit £30 which once fitted also shows the RPM, we’ll then checked what it is set at and then set the rpm to 1850 and then I’ll ride it and see, .... trials are being cancelled though due to corona virus ??‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 54tphill said:

Ok an update, DO NOT ever remove the fuel pump unless you’ve bought the replacement o rings that cost £44....

In the USA, the set of o-rings is about $16 (no VAT in USA) through online parts. They fit CRF450R and CRF250R for the last 10 years, so they are pretty common.

FWIW, at that price, you may want to just order the whole Fuel Filter Kit P.N. 06160-MEN-A31. It includes the big o-rings, the little o-ring for the fuel filter, and the fuel filter. Saw it on a UK online parts site for £55.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Have a look at the coil pack. Had exact same problem with my 2005 4rt. Turned out to be the wires on the coil pack. I relocated the coil pack to under the fuel tank instead of the side of the frame. Just a thought. Odd for a bike that's less than a year old though...

• 1 month later...

I have similar problem with my 2005 4RT..the bike have been in storage for over a year...wont start..No Spark!!..change spark plug..still no spark..Checked grounding, kill switch..Coil..etc..with multimeter..everything OK..Next check resistance on 32P connector and alternator/pulser according to the manual..all resistance number are corect..Now when I checked the Tilt/bank sensor there is No contuinity between all pins..at straight position and more than 65 degree...Is that the way to check it ?..how do we check if the bank sensor is good or bad ?..I read that you can by pass the bank angle sensor by joining the two outside wire ( green and wihite ?)..How do you do that ?

Thanks

7 hours ago, volcano island trial said:

I have similar problem with my 2005 4RT..the bike have been in storage for over a year...wont start..No Spark!!..change spark plug..still no spark..Checked grounding, kill switch..Coil..etc..with multimeter..everything OK..Next check resistance on 32P connector and alternator/pulser according to the manual..all resistance number are corect..Now when I checked the Tilt/bank sensor there is No contuinity between all pins..at straight position and more than 65 degree...Is that the way to check it ?..how do we check if the bank sensor is good or bad ?..I read that you can by pass the bank angle sensor by joining the two outside wire ( green and wihite ?)..How do you do that ?

Thanks

I tested my 07 with a bypassing/jumper to see if the bike would start and found that to be my problem.  All I did was to use a bit of stranded wire as a jumper between the two outside pins to test and the bike started fine (could even use a small bit of paper clip or the like).  After that I cut the wires on my bad bank sensor with as much length as possible left on the plug.  Then I capped off the center one filled it with a bit of silicone to stop water ingress.  Finally I spliced the two outside wires together and plugged it back in tell the new part came in. 

6 hours ago, volcano island trial said:

Thanks Jonnyc21..I will tried that joining the two outside wire together..so basically grounded the Red/white wire...Still no spark on my 4RT...any other suggestion ? Now only component not tested is the ECU..

Sounds like it isn't the bank sensor... 

There is a long list of things to check and I admit I don't remember them all off the top of my head, however here is some of the more common ones I can think of. 

• Check there is a small bit of play in the throttle cable
  • Check that the throttle body isn't going negative by putting a thin shim under the throttle stop (you can sometimes supper glue a really small washer for checking this)
  • Check all the ground connections are clean and connected
  • Make sure you don't have a bad component causing an issue (a bad fan or fuel pump) can check them with a 12v battery. 
  • Bank angle sensor (you have already checked this)

If I think of anything else I will let you know...

After that I would see if I can find someone else willing to swap ECU's to test with?