2019 4rt has died on me, cut out and would not start

54tphill

Jonnyc21,  I have a question, when you check for spark, do you have to have all electrical components installed ?..I have been kicking the kick start without the fuel tank installed, means the fuel pump is electrically disconnected...Also how does a working fuel pump soumd when connected to a 12 V source ?..does it whir for while then stop ?

17 hours ago, volcano island trial said:

Jonnyc21,  I have a question, when you check for spark, do you have to have all electrical components installed ?..I have been kicking the kick start without the fuel tank installed, means the fuel pump is electrically disconnected...Also how does a working fuel pump soumd when connected to a 12 V source ?..does it whir for while then stop ?

jrsunt is correct, it will not start without it connected.  Once when I cleaned my tank filter on my 07 4RT I didn't connect the fuel pump back up by mistake, took me a few min to figure out why it wouldn't give me spark. 

As for 12v on the pump you should be able to hear it kick on and off as long as you don't have to much background noise.  They are fairly quiet so be sure there isn't much to distract when testing. 

Edited by jonnyc21

• 2 months later...
On 5/24/2020 at 12:24 PM, thall1 said:

After six months Mine turned out to be an intermittent ecu fault...

borrow one if you can and try it

My bikes playing up again, rode it 2/3 times for 3 hours a ride, now it’s started stalling/cutting out again, this thread was originally about my bike.

I’m thinking maybe my ecu is faulty, everyone kept saying about the idle so I did fit an Apico hour meter/rev counter but with lock down the bike wasn’t used for a while. 

everyone was saying the rpm needs to be 1800, I fitted the Rev counter after I had tweaked it, 

the rpm only shows 1270 but it’s loud, like it’s reading it wrong ? 
It’s been fitted exactly how the instructions say. If I turn it up it’ll get to 1500 then cut out, turn it down to 900 and it’ll cut out, at 1200 ish it runs ok but occasionally tries to cough, the revs dip randomly. Sometimes I’m riding through a section and it’ll just cut out. 
I must have bought the most unreliable 4rt in England. ..... 

99F722C7-C213-4040-B6F1-4D8E23798A8B.png

33 minutes ago, thall1 said:

Have you actually tried setting at 1800?... it is quite loud... very similar to a petrol lawnmower!

Yes i can Not get it to 1800, at 1500 it sounds like it’s going to ride off on its own but then it cuts out hence it must be wrong!

Just been back through your posts

You said a lanyard fitted just before you bought it - is it a genuine mont one? Maybe fit a kill button for a while instead 

Did you check how the bank angle sensor had been linked out ?

cheers

• Like 1

21 hours ago, 54tphill said:

Yes i can Not get it to 1800, at 1500 it sounds like it’s going to ride off on its own but then it cuts out hence it must be wrong!

what maps are on the bike ? is all the restricts removed ?how is the bike running before cutting out  black smoke miss fire ? if bike running good and only cuts out and bad to start when hot i think the problem is the cooling fan, starting to seize will turn /work but drawing to much current away from fuel pump also  look at fan relay,i find it very strange the ecu will not allow you to set the correct tick over as its only a air valve screw   

Edited by on it
add
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jimmyl said:

Just been back through your posts

You said a lanyard fitted just before you bought it - is it a genuine mont one? Maybe fit a kill button for a while instead 

Did you check how the bank angle sensor had been linked out ?

cheers

Inch perfect fitted a apico lanyard for me when I bought it new, they also linked out the bank angle sensor so I’d of thought we could rule those areas out ? 

26 minutes ago, lineaway said:

After all this, have you tried running the bike with the gas cap off? It could not be venting properly. Every trials bike seemed to have venting problems in 2018 for various reasons.

That’s an interesting idea, it did actually start playing up after I fuelled up, so you think the cap on the top of the tank could be causing an issue ? 

905FAD05-E0D4-4881-8B8E-A2428B86B42B.png

2 hours ago, 54tphill said:

Inch perfect fitted a apico lanyard for me when I bought it new, they also linked out the bank angle sensor so I’d of thought we could rule those areas out ? 

You would like to  think so but as you are still having issues would double check just to be 100%

• Like 2

I agree with lineaway to remove the no spill cap and see how things go.  The two times I have tried one for any of my bikes I have had some kind of issue and ended up deciding not to do it again, no issues sense.  

And always worth a look at any changes that recently happened such as jummyl's suggestion on going back to a kill button to test.  

Edited by jonnyc21