Early Sherpa 5-spd. sleeve gear bushes

lorenzo

One for the cognoscenti, maybe........

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience regarding improving the longevity/durability of sleeve gear bronze bushes ?

This applies to models 27/49 and 80 with 14mm. mainshaft nose (bushes #111.047)  and later models 91/92 with 15mm. shaft (bushes #48.11-047).

I've dismantled a number of engines each of which shows wear to these bushes, characterised by a step in the outer bush bore, where it overhangs the

end of the mainshaft.

I have to wonder if there is a particular reason for the bushes to be fitted flush to the outer end of the sleeve gear, or whether it was simply

a matter of production expediency.........

950962293_Bultacosleevegearbushes2.thumb.jpg.4b4dce8f992c5b937dda3b6b1a2cb063.jpg

Edited by lorenzo
add missing text

What is the problem with the bush going right to the end?

One thing I do know is that I couldn't source the right size bushes for a M85 sleeve gear last year so I bought bushing material with a smaller ID and bored it to size once it was in place in the sleeve gear. Haven't tried the motor yet.

I've always wondered why some 5 speed motors have needle roller bearings there and some have sleeves.

1 hour ago, feetupfun said:

What is the problem with the bush going right to the end?

One thing I do know is that I couldn't source the right size bushes for a M85 sleeve gear last year so I bought bushing material with a smaller ID and bored it to size once it was in place in the sleeve gear. Haven't tried the motor yet.

I've always wondered why some 5 speed motors have needle roller bearings there and some have sleeves.

The problem is that a part of the outer bushing is not acting  as a bushing........The effective length is shortened, just where it's most needed.

It's a M85 that I'm hoping to complete first.  - this should have the 15mm. bushes. (and I haven't been able to obtain replacements, either).

Needle roller bearings replaced p.b. bushes on models 124/125 onward. Presumably to correct the rapid wear rate of bushes.........

and the mainshaft nose in that case is yet another different diameter to the 14/15mm ones it replaces.

Edited by lorenzo
missing text
  • Like 1