348 exhaust refitting

sparkieb

Im at the stage where its time to refit the exhaust, engine is in and its a rolling chassis. Do i have to start removing parts again ? as im getting nowhere fast and catching all the new paint. Does the cylinder head need to come back off ? Does the rear wheel need to come out ? Im sure when i dismantled the 348 it came out without doing so but was difficult. Hope someone out there has a solution. Cheers Mark

It is a fiddle and I haven't done it for forty years but I seem to recollect that you start with the tail pipe facing towards the front then thread the curved pipe through between the downtubes from back to front then wiggle it from there.  My memory may be false of course.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Its in ? after removing air box then feeding thru from front with a bit of twisting. BUT ? the rear mudguard was offset so i spent ages re-aligning so i looked perfect, but guess what ? the bloody silencer hits it now, so they must all be built offset. Well mines bloody well not , so im trimming the underside edge of the mudguard until it bolts up. If there was a montesa designer about id be tempted to give him a tap in the nuts ?

I had the very same problem a few months ago when i repacked my exhaust, airbox off, rear mudguard off still couldn't refit exhaust, Take the coil off and hey presto it fits. The extra wiggle room with the coil off does the trick..

• Like 1