Portable Generator - Electric Motion

Does anyone have a portable generator they use for charging the battery on a electric trials bike Electric Motion or similar.

Thinking of buying one to extend time on bike and looking at options.

What make & model do you use and are you happy with it.

Alternatively have you bought a spare battery.

Edited by Electric Motion Rider
Make post clearer

4 hours ago, timdog said:

I used to carry a fully charged spare car battery with an inverter and use that to top up charge. Obviously need to check the inverter is correctly rated.

Thanks my original thoughts were small camping type inverter generator petrol driven. I had not thought about doing it that way.

• 3 years later...

At 15 Amps (max) the charger can draw 1800 Watts (15A x 120V).   I have a 2000 watt (3000W max) inverter on my battery, and that works.  (I run the truck when charging to save my battery.)

I also have an 1800 Watt (2200 max) inverter generator (ryobi - small, very quiet and runs great) that does the job too.  For a full recharge, the generator is the way to go. 

You don't tie up your vehicle (Unless you load the bike in the bed and run an extension cord)  and you can put the generator wherever you want.

Slight misunderstanding here.  The standard EM ePure charger is rated at 15 amps on the DC side.  When sourcing 58 volts into the battery at 15 amps max, the charger draws under 1000 watts from the AC side (even considering that it is only about 92% efficient).

Ideally, I would like to recharge the battery directly from solar panels.  Although this would be the most efficient method it does require some engineering to develop.

17 hours ago, konrad said:

Slight misunderstanding here.  The standard EM ePure charger is rated at 15 amps on the DC side.  When sourcing 58 volts into the battery at 15 amps max, the charger draws under 1000 watts from the AC side (even considering that it is only about 92% efficient).

Ideally, I would like to recharge the battery directly from solar panels.  Although this would be the most efficient method it does require some engineering to develop.

1000 watts of solar is pretty big.

If you just had a constant year round source of fast moving water across your property a true green solution would be no problem at all 🤓 the greater challenge is having a charging station that suits the battery type without over charge, has heating and cooling and won't become a problem if it bursts into smoke and flames one day.  So basically you are looking for a comfortable 4 season concrete power bunker next to a small river that flows across your property, a whole bunch of money to sink into equipment and then you can have free rides forever. 

• Haha 1