Taming a 300 factory?

Bert82

Hello,

i own a 250 Factory Beta and i'm looking to buy a more recent (second hand) one. My current bike is a 2012, and i came across a 2018 that i might be interested for. Problem is, it's a 300 Factory, and i do not need more power. I only got into trials  a year ago, have been riding motorcycles for the past 20 years dough, in trials dough, i'm a beginner. I'm not a heavy person, and the  250 has all the power i need. Now here's the question, is it possible to make a 300 factory handle more, enginewise, like my current 250? What's the difference between a 300 factory, vs a 300 ss, enginewise? Could i tame a 300 factory down with mods like a lower compression head, and flywheel weight? Or should i better look further till i come across a more recent 250?

300 Factory for the "experienced" rider. It'll take you for a proper work out, especially by the third lap.  SS or Super smooth is a bit tamer.  However, you could do what a lot people do : Slow throttle, flywheel weight, low comp head insert, & a 9t front sprocket . (SS spec). Folks  often buy a bike that's a wee bit too much for them & spend a pile of cash calming things down & making it ride like a 250.  IMHO, go for a later 250. Much better option for the average rider. ?

• Like 1

I'm a 215 pound advanced rider (competing in trials since 98). I have had 3 300s in the past, and still have a 3004t, but that's another story.  In 2017 i switched back to a Factory 250 2T after finding 300s had too much spin in low traction conditions. After trying my friends 2016 250 2t Beta. I really liked it. But when i got my Factory edition 250 in 2017 i was disappointed, the bike was a pooch. I tried Boyseen reeds, faster throttle helped, mototasserani reeds made it even smoother on the bottom but no real poop.  I was seriously considering a new 300cc jug and piston or trade-in time. Then someone suggested running the red-head insert from S-3, only 90$ so i took a gamble.  Really happy with the bike now, still has a nice progressive low and mid but with a nice bite on the top. I have tried the SS model and i like it and came very close to getting one in 2017, but to to change a factory 300 into a SS will cost you a lot of money, as they run a heavier flywheel and heavier clutch basket, different exhaust, different head insert, slow throttle.  If i weighed 160 pounds or less i would even consider the 200cc model. That 2018 Factory edition 300 will be a bit too much for you, keep looking and try as many different bikes as you can.

6 hours ago, carlos said:

Then someone suggested running the red-head insert from S-3, only 90$ so i took a gamble.  Really happy with the bike now, still has a nice progressive low and mid but with a nice bite on the top. 

Glad you like the S3 Red Head Insert mod Carlos.   

Edited by billyt
  • Like 1