Torquesalot

Advice please for my 14 yr old daughter

Hi guys I'm not a lady lol but thought it's best to ask you as it's for my 14 year old daughter. I'm looking at getting her first trials bike (on a budget) but stuck as what sort of engine size. She has never ridden a motorcycle full stop so don't want to terrify her. She is adult size about 5ft 5 and about 11 stone so I was thinking 125 maybe or would she be better off to start on something smaller not looking to be competitive straight out just to learn. Thanks in advance.

Difficult stage as I think she is too big for any of the auto's. My personal favourite learning bike is still the TY80, but might be a bit small though though there were some larger versions about. Don't be put off too much by price, if it's a good one then it will hold it's value

• Thanks 1

My thoughts exactly if she had learned to ride a manual gearbox earlier wouldn't be such an issue. Just been looking at ty80 strong money for such an old bike but stood the test of time. Don't want to spend to much as she might not stick it. Thinking maybe take her on a pay and play with bike hire and see how she gets on then maybe a training later on. kids are so expensive lol. Thanks for the advice.

It wouldn't take too long to learn gears, my lad it was basically one hour and the next day he was riding on the road, TY80 is going to be too small at 5 5, unless you can find a Whitehawk, they aren't cheap though, look out for a 125 Beta Evo or similar, get a reasonable one if it doesn't work out you can get back your money pretty much on resale.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

+1 for Beta Evo 125. Year not as important as condition. Put on a slow (black) domino throttle tube, its less revvy, more torque and easier to plonk about on than an 80. Don't bother with competing for a while, just ride ! Will get money back if it doesn't work out.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all your advice. I was thinking beta rev 3 125 (did they make one?)I've only ever ridden beta myself. I agree misscrabstick about learning gears maybe I'm over thinking it just think a clutch can get you in trouble quickly if your new to it. As for throttle adaption 5again I hadn't even considered that great advice and everyone seems to agree that I'll get most of my money back if it doesn't work out thanks a lot everyone just have to take the plunge.

From my experiences it's usually panic pulling the throttle that gets beginners into a big wheelie/crash situation, pulling the clutch in stops all that. Just a thought.

• Thanks 1

Very true I'll teach her to think of it more of a power shut off than a power on switch. Im only a beginner (15 years off the bike) myself so any teaching tips to stop her disappearing into the forest on her back wheel screaming daaaaaad! Is appreciated.

100% she wants a Beta 80 senior. Fantastic bike to learn on. She will only notice the lack of power once she starts going up big steps and hill climbs which will be a few years from now. Also hold their money well. 

• Thanks 1

Never seen the senior version is it a larger wheeled version of the standard 80? I live in the UK not sure how available they are on the used market. I'm guessing they have a manual gearbox too. Thanks

I'm definitely steering towards a 125. like I said shes 11 stone and quite stocky and strong I think she could cope with it. Just getting the understanding of the gearbox and clutch will be the challenge. As for the oset really cool little bikes the oset 16 is what I've decided on for my 6 year old daughter that was an easy decision adjustable speed,power and throttle response and can ride just about anywhere. Thanks guys

Beta 80 jnr is medium wheel (19 front 16 rear) 80 Snr is big wheel (21 front 18 rear). Perfect for the “never ridden before” and doesn’t want “terrifying” category. Has a clutch and gears. Once she is confident on that then progress to a 125 which can, in the wrong hands, terrify a complete beginner.  

Edited by young girl sunt
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You seem to have paid a lot of attention to my original question which I really appreciate. My daughter although very strong and athletic is a bit of a wimp when it comes to anything which seems extreme to her unlike my youngest which is the opposite. I have looked into the beta senior only found one used online but definitely considering it. I still think taking her to a bike hire trials centre which I'm lucky enough to have one 30 mins away will give me a better understanding of what she could ride as a newbie. Thanks for your input it's taken on board. Also do you think an 80 junior and sourcing the larger wheels would be an option the junior seems more widely available. Thanks

Yes getting some lessons is a very good idea. They should be equipped for dealing with learners and may have things like restrictors in the bike which can help. Girls confidence can be fragile so a scare early doors can really put them off. I don’t think you can simply swap the wheels from a jnr to a Snr would work as forks and swing arms are different. Just searched eBay for beta 80 and 2 come up. One recent and one older.

• Thanks 1

Thanks yeah the confidence thing is exactly what I'm concerned with I don't have any sons (all girls) and with all due respect girls seem more sensible and have less too prove in general (no mindless risk taking to show off) meaning a scare will make them more susceptible to quit so having less power is more in my eyes id rather her quickly find the bike boring than too much as I can always upgrade but cant take away. what is the 80 senior like size wise in comparison to a 125? Thanks again