Torquesalot

Advice please for my 14 yr old daughter

My sons first ride was on a Rev3 270 at 14yrs old having never ridden a powered bike before... picked the clutch up straight away for slow circuits around on flat ground.. 2nd time out he was riding over flat pallets and tyres so we bought him a GasGas 125 as his first bike.. 

I think if they are keen to have a go they’ll be fine... make sure they have as much protection on as possible as they will fall off as we all do and they shouldn’t then get hurt too much.
Make sure a lanyard is fitted and when she starts off you hold onto the lanyard and walk/ jog beside her ... if the bike starts to take off you can stop it before it gets out of hand rather than wait for them to fall off. 

• Thanks 1

You can’t just fit the larger wheels to the beta 80 junior, they don’t fit, too many differences re frame and forks. The senior is about 3/4 the size of a full size.  Advantage to senior 80.  A little bit lighter to handle, plenty of power for learning all the basics of control and a lot of sections which don’t include too big a hill, main thing is if she snaps the throttle open it won’t  take off plus in turns etc you rarely need to pull clutch in or slip it they are so low geared. It just takes a short time to learn to be very gentle with the throttle and ALWAYS have finger on clutch ready to pull in.

An older 125 won’t be as snappy as the new ones,  kids learn very quickly how to use clutch and gears. Throttle control is the one to learn. If you got an 80 and she enjoys it you will quickly be looking for a 125 at 14. Go try a 125 if you can it would certainly last her longer

• Thanks 1

Splatered Stu yeah cool I'm looking forward to my little girl getting the oset she is a little small for her age (6) but think the 12.5 will be too small. Thall1 the lanyard will be a massive confidence booster. I'm just going to take her to a bike hire/training facility first and go from there as you say with your kid on your 270 if they can operate the bike properly they can ride anything and I had a 270 very very torquey but smooth motor. Timdog I think the fact I've only ridden larger capacity trials bikes or highly strung 125 mx bikes is what's steering me to the beta 80 I just wouldn't know what to expect from a 125 trials as in power delivery so just comes back to bike hire and test out from there I think someone did point out to me about the wheels not fitting I thought they might be like the old 80/85 big wheel mx bikes but obviously not. Thanks guys

Not much help, but i threw my lad in at the deep end aged 12 (now 14) and similar height to yours, straight onto a Yamaha ty250 mono. Plodder, heavy flywheel,  no nasty sharp throttle response.

Gave him the confidence to carry on. I concur, big thing initially is don't frighten them off.

Best of luck.

• Thanks 1

If they are starting riding from scratch, it's often hard to get them off the mark while standing up, it's much easier if there's a seat.

That leaves you with old twinshocks to look at, perhaps a TY175.

If you're worried about them winging the throttle and getting into trouble, rig up a throttle stop.

I just ran a self tapping screw into the throttle twist to stop the pulley pulling the cable too far, as time went on you can move it further round and open up the throttle more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your input guys. thai-ty I had thought about chucking the 250 in a high gear and letting her have a go but just the sound of it terrifies her which is understandable. Goudrons I like the throttle stop idea combined with lanyard would be good at first. As for standing up I live in afan forest south Wales and we done a lot of downhill mountain biking together so I've drilled standing up into her mind it's just adapting her body position to avoid the matrix style leaning back under throttle lol. Thanks guys.

I agree with @young girl suntI'm 13 stone and i would have a go at the clubman route on my son's Beta 80 senior if I could get him off it. Fantastic bike, perfect for a beginner and great fun to ride.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I agree younggirlsunt gave me advice from a ladies point of view and that's what I'm going for beta 80 senior. I'm not bothered if I have to sell and upgrade quickly it's no big deal. We have watched some YouTube vids of the 125 and 80 and she is certain the 80 is for her underpowered or not she isn't competing or if she does it will be easy trials no real obstacles or hills anyway. Thanks for backing the idea up for me.

On 3/2/2020 at 9:11 AM, Torquesalot said:

Hi guys I'm not a lady lol but thought it's best to ask you as it's for my 14 year old daughter. I'm looking at getting her first trials bike (on a budget) but stuck as what sort of engine size. She has never ridden a motorcycle full stop so don't want to terrify her. She is adult size about 5ft 5 and about 11 stone so I was thinking 125 maybe or would she be better off to start on something smaller not looking to be competitive straight out just to learn. Thanks in advance.

My daughter was around 5' 4" at around 12 and at that time she was doing quite well on a Beta 80 Sr with the 21" front and 18" rear wheel set.  She is now almost 18 and rides a Gas Gas 125 at 5' 8" and dose quite well on it. 

Note: she moved to the 125 at around 16 but really was ready for it at about 14-15. 

Beta 80 to 125 size comparison: The best 80 is a bit smaller but very close to the same, a touch smaller wheelbase, higher foot peg position on the 80 (the 125 is better), the cockpit space is more open on the 125 as it is a full size bike frame setup, and the weight is only about 6 - 8 lbs (3 - 4kg) less on the 80. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Thanks 1

It's all about what she can kick-start, many times a day.   The TY175 is such an easy starter and is pretty docile..

I started Grass Track racing at the age of 14 on a 250, and a fellow 14 year old even went onto a 500, and started winning everything in sight..!