2x2 SWM TL320

dozerash

As mentioned I have nothing against using them, but to be informed in advance or to name the ressource would nice. 

I am really thinking about asking Tomanscheck about the drawings, part listings, calculations and ressource listings, to let someone build a small batch of theses drives...

15 hours ago, pschrauber said:

As mentioned I have nothing against using them, but to be informed in advance or to name the ressource would nice. 

I am really thinking about asking Tomanscheck about the drawings, part listings, calculations and ressource listings, to let someone build a small batch of theses drives...

That would be awesome! Keep us posted! 

The Yamaha and Öhlins prototypes were very well built and tried under race conditions for a couple of years, but scrapped as they did not offer any real advantages to make up for the complex system and added weight. Nowadays, traction control systems and other electronic devises can offer almost the same benefits, at least without any weight disadvantage.  

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 years later...
On 3/5/2020 at 10:47 AM, pschrauber said:

It worked very well, but as mentioned the front wheel drive did only engage when you got slip at the rear end.

All in all it was an advantage especially on slippery ground in wet and muddy or grounds with deep sand.

The 2 wheel drive was later (in the next season already) forbidden in trials competition. 

Is that a flexible drive, who made the shaft assembly ? Im interested as have worked for 44 years employed by an international flex shaft company.. From apprentice to product development engineer.

12 hours ago, Sammydoo said:

Is that a flexible drive, who made the shaft assembly ? Im interested as have worked for 44 years employed by an international flex shaft company.. From apprentice to product development engineer.

That is a goid question about the flexible cable and hose, you have to ask the inventor. The idea and the shaft is from the beginning 80's so I don't think there will be much useful information left even if the inventor is still alive and still living there where he lived back then. 

I have the adress of the inventor from back then if it is of interest? 

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

Stoked to see these pictures - the SWM on the first picture is my Dads. He is the Inventor and builder of the FrontWheel Drive. The Bike is still existing, my Dad is still healthy - and if anyone wants to know more about it, feel free to contact me.

Ralf Tomaschek

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Cool to get now information of first hand.

recently there was another trialsbike with the frontwheel drive around, this time a Fantic 240 and obvious with the a drive that must have been manufactured by your father.

See in this video and the following sequeces from the D-Cup Trial in Augsburg, 01.10.2022:

YouTube Video D-Cup Augsburg 01.10.2022

- 03:05 - 03:55,

- 05:45 - 06:16

- 16:10 - 17:25 (the best capture I think).

Are their still 2 wheel drive set up's left?

How many have been build?

• Thanks 1

Yes my Dad knows that Fantic. It might me a Guy from Hersbruck, that is riding the bike in the linked  video - and does quite well, in my opinion.👍

As I know there are some parts left, but Im not sure if a complete drive is existing, I guess not. 

My Dad wouldn't mind if you contact him direct for any questions about these 2WDs. 

And if there is serious interest, he would even sell his own machine for a good offer.😉

So don't hesitate to send me a PM, then I may give yo the Email adress of my Dad. 

BR Ralf

• Thanks 1