montesa cota 247 1974 wont start

baphomet

Usual checks:

Fresh petrol? Fuel reaching plug? (Is it wet after attempts to start?) Choke mechanism working? Ignition timing set correctly? Fresh spark plug, correctly gapped? Tried a bump start? 

Edited by cleanorbust

You'll also have a hole in your crankcase unless you move your kickstart lever round a bit. As it is it will move the internals round too far.  It should be more towards upright than you have it now  Googling for a picture should give you the right setup. Though I notice you have a later lever on it I would still check.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

Check the spark from the end of the lead to engine metal, if it can't make 5mm at least at kicking speed you have a problem, also try another plug, they can look fine out of engine but then under compression just die. Also with the plug out dribble a bit of premix into the plug hole, put the plug back in and give it a kick see if it fires at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/6/2020 at 4:17 PM, misscrabstick said:

Check the spark from the end of the lead to engine metal, if it can't make 5mm at least at kicking speed you have a problem, also try another plug, they can look fine out of engine but then under compression just die. Also with the plug out dribble a bit of premix into the plug hole, put the plug back in and give it a kick see if it fires at all.

On 3/11/2020 at 4:43 PM, MartinH955 said:

I put Electronic Ignition on mine, best money I spent. Starts & runs perfectly now.

Yup, me too... I did the rounds trying to optimise the standard ignition and fuelling arrangement on my 247 and I mean, BIG TIME - timing set-up, condensor relocate, HT lead and plug replacement, points swap, air leak check, crank seals, carb strip and rebuild, fuel line replacement, the list goes on and on and on!. It simply refused to start, nothing, not even a suggestion of firing-up!

Threw the towel in eventually and on the advice of a fellow TC 247 owner, made the call to Electrex World. Two hours of installation time and TWO kicks later (with the aid of a decompression lever, again on the advice of another TC enthusiast) and... perfection. Starts now second kick EVERY time, with a lovely even idle, perfect pick-up and no drama, whatsoever, even after months of not being used! It's the single most effective improvement I've made to the 247 and one, without which, I'd have likely sold it on as a project and bought something newer!

Edited by riffraffretro
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...