Jump to content

happycyd

Coronavirus and trials?

Recommended Posts

Last thing the lockdown is ,is stupid,got any better ideas that are proven to work?

Edited by huski
Unfinished
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

2 hours ago, v1nn1e said:

I'm sorry but I disagree totally with this stupid lock down!

You would have to be doing some pretty Big Stuff to require an ambulance. I just sprained my ankle and that's a rare injury for me - but I wouldn't dream of bothering the NHS; I'm happy to self-medicate at home.

I appreciate very much the huge effort that front line NHS staff are putting in, primarily because they have been so badly let down by the dick-heads in charge, who couldn't organise the proverbial in a brewery. This is/was the UK Government's forward planning document for just such a pandemic - it says 'Flu' but is applicable to this situation...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/responding-to-a-uk-flu-pandemic

Basically, it's complete pants! All of the steps that have been carried out so far, and all of the reactive actions carried out by the Government are not mentioned once in this document.

Because of their utter, utter uselessness they have basically trashed the economy and many, many people, most likely the younger generation, will be paying for this for years.

If they had taken much earlier steps to isolate people in the high-risk category and to increase their supplies of ITU beds, then most likely the rest of us could have gone about our business largely as usual. They've even shunned help from the EU to join a group Ventilator purchase programme! ?

Hmm....................not going to get drawn into a 'flame' war here, you are entitled to your views, of course....and the right to express them, I, along with others on the 'front line', be they NHS staff, (all) shop workers/food suppliers, council workers, in fact anyone who is not able to either work from home......or have an enforced period off work...in the most part with pay,........are still putting not just their own health, but that of family, on the line, may not be agreement with your views;

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
5 hours ago, v1nn1e said:

I'm sorry but I disagree totally with this stupid lock down!

If they had taken much earlier steps to isolate people in the high-risk category and to increase their supplies of ITU beds, then most likely the rest of us could have gone about our business largely as usual. They've even shunned help from the EU to join a group Ventilator purchase programme! ?

I agree that they should have taken stronger action sooner but you are absolutely wrong if you think there is any other option than a complete lock down. 

You need to Google "flattening the curve". Or maybe just watch the news. 

It's interesting that some people still don't understand/accept that this is a real and dangerous situation and for once (in this generation), we as humans are not in control.

It's barely a mild inconvenience to not go riding for a bit but some people are acting like it's the actions of a totalitarian government. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

We have more freedom stil than France,whether they,or we,or either are doing it the best way I'm not qualified to say.Im obeying the guidelines and hoping for the best.We are facing something we can't see,hear,feel,smell or taste that can kill us that hopefully will be defeated sooner rather than later.Im missing riding,fishing,socialising ,living normally but that's where we are 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

I'll keep clear of the "who's doing it best" discussion, or "what's appropriate activity".

My main concern as it relates directly to trials is that with Italy and Spain being hit so hard what's going to happen to all the manufacturers?

Dealers are obviously in the firing line too, but, ignoring the personal calamities that might occur, dealerships are far more agile than manufacturers. The names, faces and knowledge may change, but if there's a manufacturer then there will be someone ready to deal them.

I've little doubt that new bike sales are going to take a hit. Probably used bikes too I'm guessing. That's not going to help the manufacturers get back on their feet. Could make for some good deals on NOS bikes though ?

Torrot is a decent size company, so I expect Spain will help them stay afloat if needed, but GasGas trials can't be a huge money spinner or employer so could they be part of a paring down / cost cutting?

Sherco / Scorpa - small manufacturer, who knows what support they might need or get.

Beta - ?? no idea really. I'd guess they'd be in line for government support if needed, but that queue's going to be a long one.

Electric Motion - again, no idea. Small company, maybe that's good, maybe it's bad. At least they are dominant in their own category.

JGas - From the number I see around the place it amazes me they're still in business anyway. No clue what their situation is, perhaps e-bicycles will keep them afloat. If they do survive then perhaps they'll be in a good place to move into the E-Trials era I've no doubt is coming.

Only time will tell, and undoubtedly each country will be doing it's best to try to retain any and all industries, and presumably export businesses will be particularly precious.

I'm certainly not going out panic buying parts for my bike, but it does concern me which manufacturers are going to come out of this, at least in the shorter term.

Perhaps we'll all be on Japanese built Honda and maybe Yamaha in a few years? No doubt they'll all be electric anyway. Perhaps that's the silver lining for trials, this shake up might accelerate the move to E-Trials.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
15 hours ago, bikerpet said:

I'll keep clear of the "who's doing it best" discussion, or "what's appropriate activity".

My main concern as it relates directly to trials is that with Italy and Spain being hit so hard what's going to happen to all the manufacturers?

Dealers are obviously in the firing line too, but, ignoring the personal calamities that might occur, dealerships are far more agile than manufacturers. The names, faces and knowledge may change, but if there's a manufacturer then there will be someone ready to deal them.

I've little doubt that new bike sales are going to take a hit. Probably used bikes too I'm guessing. That's not going to help the manufacturers get back on their feet. Could make for some good deals on NOS bikes though ?

Torrot is a decent size company, so I expect Spain will help them stay afloat if needed, but GasGas trials can't be a huge money spinner or employer so could they be part of a paring down / cost cutting?

Sherco / Scorpa - small manufacturer, who knows what support they might need or get.

Beta - ?? no idea really. I'd guess they'd be in line for government support if needed, but that queue's going to be a long one.

Electric Motion - again, no idea. Small company, maybe that's good, maybe it's bad. At least they are dominant in their own category.

JGas - From the number I see around the place it amazes me they're still in business anyway. No clue what their situation is, perhaps e-bicycles will keep them afloat. If they do survive then perhaps they'll be in a good place to move into the E-Trials era I've no doubt is coming.

Only time will tell, and undoubtedly each country will be doing it's best to try to retain any and all industries, and presumably export businesses will be particularly precious.

I'm certainly not going out panic buying parts for my bike, but it does concern me which manufacturers are going to come out of this, at least in the shorter term.

Perhaps we'll all be on Japanese built Honda and maybe Yamaha in a few years? No doubt they'll all be electric anyway. Perhaps that's the silver lining for trials, this shake up might accelerate the move to E-Trials.

Some interesting (and sobering) points raised here;

As you so rightly say, those of us lucky enough to survive this virus, will still have our bikes and there will be trials to ride in, already there are those, maybe's some fellow riders, who will never get the chance to do so again.

Lets ALL stay safe 

Andy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

100% agree - stay safe. And surely let's not make this forum for haters or political statements. It's for TRIALS. Plenty of other forums/websites etc for anger/hate/vitriol.

Cue a load of negative responses :)

And support your local dealer where you can (obvs. via website delivery).

What's everyone doing at the weekend...

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
1 hour ago, rr62 said:

100% agree - stay safe. And surely let's not make this forum for haters or political statements. It's for TRIALS. Plenty of other forums/websites etc for anger/hate/vitriol.

Cue a load of negative responses :)

And support your local dealer where you can (obvs. via website delivery).

What's everyone doing at the weekend...

 

Hopefully sorting out (replacing) leaking oil seal behind front sprocket on the TY.............if I can get sprocket nut undone  ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
4 hours ago, Twinshockandy said:

Hopefully sorting out (replacing) leaking oil seal behind front sprocket on the TY.............if I can get sprocket nut undone  ?

IMPACT WRENCH!!!!  DURGA DURGA   UGGA UGGA!!!!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...