waterproof socks- what do you use?

monteeman

hello again, when I lat did trials, about 15 years ago, I used some alpinestars gore tex socks, which worked great in keeping my feet dry, even after trudging my way thru streams . my boots would be soaked thru, but the goretex socks would keep my feet dry. they were great, but would eventually leak when the membrane got damaged, or just through use. mine lasted a couple of years tho, so I cant complain (but I will)

Im struggling to find them now, they must have stopped making them. 

I see sealskinz socks are still about bit havnt used them. they are meant to be water proof. Anyone use them, and are they actually completely waterproof?

If I was wearing them and standing in a river say above my ankles, would they keep my feet dry?

In other words are they as good as the goretex numbers?

Cheers

Opinions on the effectiveness of Sealskinz vary in both the motorcycling and cycling communities. I've never taken the gamble of spending on Sealskinz but suggest you could do what cyclists do and put a poly bag over your sock. Okay it won't breathe but you're unlikley to have bone dry feet no matter what.

Anyone remember PVC Sox?

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Ex Army / NATO waterproof socks available on that well known T'interweb site. They are fine, but don't expect everything to be completely bone dry at the end of a wet trial, especially with the calf height of current trials boots. You certainly don't get that horrible cold feeling the minute you dip your toes in the water as the water makes its way in when wearing normal socks. You can still feel your feet when taking your boots off at the finish.

Liberal use of waterproof dubbin,oil etc, with a heat gun helps boots stay a bit water proof around the stitching. Bit of a pain, especially if you are out every week. And.........most of us manage to get a hole them eventually. 

Never had this problem with NCB wellies, ?  Remember PVC Sox too, & TT leathers plastic coated two piece outfits.   

• Like 1

I wont be using plastic bags, f*ck that, your feet would sweat like nothing on earth in them

I also wont be investing in sealskinz either by the sound of it.

looks like its goretex socks for the win, or goretex boot liners.

thanks for the replies - well, the sensible ones.....

• Dislike 1