Montesa 315r clutch probs

Pobby71

Hi, I've read loads of stuff on here about montesa clutch issues, mine won't disengage, I've bled the slve cylinder, took the clutch basket apart, got it working then it wouldn't work again, before I go down the  route of dimpled plates or removing 2 springs, out of interest how far is the slave cylinder supposed to move,, mines only moving about 3 mm tops. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated cheers. 

Edited by Pobby71
Typo

6 hours ago, Pobby71 said:

Hi, I've read loads of stuff on here about montesa clutch issues, mine won't disengage, I've bled the slve cylinder, took the clutch basket apart, got it working then it wouldn't work again, before I go down the  route of dimpled plates or removing 2 springs, out of interest how far is the slave cylinder supposed to move,, mines only moving about 3 mm tops. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated cheers. 

I can't speak to if 3mm of movement is enough on the slave for a 315R, however, did you bleed the slave recently?  If not I would start there.

On a side note, a few things to consider might be...  When you took the basket apart did you have divots/indentations on the clutch fingers where the plates touch?  If not, was there any unexpected wear that could account for things shifting off center?  Did the clutch friction plates have a larger than normal amount of exposed glue and enough wear to the point where you might have any of that glue in contact with the pressure plates? 

Any of this could account for it outside of the slave movement. 

Edited by jonnyc21

Hi cheers for the responce,, tried to reply on my phone but was still logged on another device,,, anyway I got it working by separating the plates then putting it back together,, I've never seen it ride however engine runs sweet now I've cleaned the carbs, I was just wondering how far the slave should move as my mate who races moto x reckons it should be 6 to 8 mm mine is less than 3 mm,, it just doesn't look like a lot of movement to me.. I'm going look at it again this wkend. I can post some pics

Cheers again guys

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've re sealed clutch master cylinder and it appears to have helped, so next stop will be to change gbx oil to the right spec, should sort the prob,,, I've just got the rear suspension to sort,, the whole thing seems low to me 

But cheers for your input guys anyway

• Like 1

After many years of trying to solve 'can't get neutral' and varying levels of annoying drag with thin oil and messing with clutch plates the old man's fix on mine still works fine. I suspect there are non believers though :lol:

https://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/69963-315-clutch-fix/

If it's sitting low, the linkage plates might be wrong way round or no oil or gas left in the shock. The manual says the shock is non repairable, but https://proracing.co.uk/ sorted mine no worries and it's still fine some years later.

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW when I bought my 315R the clutch dragged quite badly.  Same day I bought it a fellow at a local event told me it was absolutely critical to run the OE spec gearbox oil.  I switched to that and the clutch then worked wonderfully (I don't know what the previous owner had in it, but it looked clean coming out).  So I would definitely suggest running the OEM fluid first-off.