Fantic 200 starting problems

Ian G

Can someone help ? I have a Fantic 200 that needs kicking what seems like 50 times to start, and the same when it stops. I have checked fuel & air items, cleaned the carb and all seem good. I have replaced the HT lead and plug. The ignition system is standard as from the factory so getting on a bit.

I have measured accross the wires coming from the LT to the HT coil as follows with a multimeter set on 2000 ohms. Green to black measures 043 ohms and the red to black measures 655 ohms. Does anyone know if this is correct, I don't want to spend £300 on replacing it all if I don't have to ?

12 minutes ago, jonboy883 said:

You don't say what type of plug you've fitted. If your electrical system is weak, get the best plug you can that maximises the Sparks.

NGK B6HS and the HT lead is a NGK red silicone racing

The plug and HT lead are new, everything else is original. I suppose I should get the stator coils rewound and replace the HT coil but really wanted to know if anyone out there knew if the ohm values above were correct.

Hope not to insult, is this just from cold or when warm too.  I used to touch a bit of throttle when starting from cold with choke and curse the bike for being a pig to start from cold.  Then I learned it didn’t like it so with Choke on I don’t touch the throttle at all and it starts great from cold.  

2 hours ago, timdog said:

Hope not to insult, is this just from cold or when warm too.  I used to touch a bit of throttle when starting from cold with choke and curse the bike for being a pig to start from cold.  Then I learned it didn’t like it so with Choke on I don’t touch the throttle at all and it starts great from cold.  

no problem. I have tried every which way from cold and is the same when hot. I am going to get the magneto could rewound and replace the HT coil, hopefully I will get a brighter spark !

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, misscrabstick said:

So plug out, and bare HT end held 5mm from engine metal, kick it, if the spark can't make 5 mm then you got a problem, this is a reliable ignition indicator test.

all sorted now, it was one of the stator coils, I have sent them off for rewinding and ordered a new HT coil. Should be like Blackpool at Xmas when sorted. Thanks everyone for their input.

• Like 1