Gas Gas TXT 280 2000 no spark.

KARLK94

HI, bought a Gas Gas txt 280 a few weeks ago and the bike was running when i bought it, got the bike home and fired it up and once warm i took it up the road and it completely died as if it had ran out of fuel and would not fire up again.

i checked for a spark and absolutely nothing. I’ve replaced a stator,CDI and coil with a new plug and plug cap and still no spark at all. I’ve checked woodruff key and it is fine and timing is correct on the standard markings inside flywheel casing.

I have cleaned carb and filled with fresh fuel and also replaced air filter with a new one.

I am at the end with the bike and cant for the life of me figure it out, all earthing points have been cleaned and re attached and all electrical items have been tested for continuity.

You've done everything that most of us would check.

now go back and double check all connectors and continuities. If everything else is new, it's going to be something simple that gets overlooked or discounted through speed.

on later bikes there is a rectifier up near the head stock ... i think it’s fan related but may also effect the spark?..may be different on earlier bikes if you have one...it’s the size of a car relay... they can breakdown... usually shown by the casing expanding from the inside out. 

Is the ignition system a Kokusan or a Ducati? Did you replace the stator with a brand new item? Have you replaced the ECU? If it is a Ducati system, the HT coil has the ECU built in. Then there is another unit, the voltage regulator/fan relay. I once worked on a Kokusan ign system on a 2007 GG where turning the bars would cause the motor to stop. It was a broken connection on one of the pins joining with the ECU, not so easy to find. Bye, Peter B.

hi, its definitly the CDI and its a kokusan system and cant get a new or second hand one from any where. stator fine as its been rewound and the coil is brand new but rang every where and cant get a cdi sadly so im going to break the bike and move on.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for these bikes

06 300 pro  carnt find anything

This bike has same issues was going then suddenly stopped. I got a new CDI and regulator/rectifier off

regulator/rectifier.com. but the wiring diagram was useless.

New coil in fact new electrical system apart from stator which is impossible to get. 

It changes the system to DC unfortunately didn't help my bike. Fact is trials bikes even though they cost **** loads the engineering on them 

Is rubbish. 

Edited by CJP

Go to gas gas website and select your bike each one has a wiring diagram, never buy a new stator always send it off to be rewound, it’s cheaper than a new one and takes 3-4days And a re wound stator is always better than a new one. I have to agree this gas gas is my first off road

bike I’m into road bikes and I can say what a load of crap the bikes are I never seen such cheap crap but I’m stuck with it so it’s getting fixed up ?