Lowering footpegs - what steel to use?

stpauls

In the process of rebuilding a Sammy Miller Honda Highboy 150cc twinshock.  I need to make a plate to  lower the footpegs, 2" down and perhaps 1" back.  It will either be welded or bolted to the existing plate.  It will be 1/4" or 5mm steel..  Should I use mild steel, bdms, stainless (chromed frame) or something else?  Anyone know what the original steel plate is?

Thanks in anticipation.

Edited by stpauls

I've seen a welder friend do his ty250 mono with 6mm mild steel plate!  Not sure if this helps. He rides regular and they don't move, twist or buckle and he's fairly happy!

put it this was, the pegs are not the cause of him constantly falling off !!! ?

• Like 2

5 or 6 mm carbon steel should be fine. Get plate profiles laser cut if you can. Its all about the welding. TIG will give you the nicest end result. The welder can take his time & ensure a perfect job. Stick & MIG all happen a bit too fast IMHO.  

nb. don't forget to load up the suspension to simulate the rider on board before you set the pegs.  

Edited by pjw123
additional info

1 hour ago, pjw123 said:

1 hour ago, pjw123 said:

nb. don't forget to load up the suspension to simulate the rider on board before you set the pegs.  

Current thinking is the forward edge of footrests should be lower by a few mm.

• Like 1

I have used 4mm mild steel to lower the foot pegs on my Ossa with no twisting so far after a few years 

as for welding or Bolt on - if the Chrome on the frame is good , it would be a shame to burn it off where you weld on your plates , so maybe try bolts first ?

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a reasonably sound plan with a good idea for either bolting or welding. However have you considered Sif-Bronze welding, properly done its very strong, allows you to use the 4/5 mm plate ....mild steel. Stainless will not be suitable to weld to to the Miller frame, under the chrome plating you will probably find Reynolds or just plain mild steel tubing(difficult to tell) about 3mm wall thickness. With the Sif-Bronze welding (looks like brazing but isnt) lots of frame makers used/use Sif-Bronze, you can heat up the weld and take it off to go back to standard or modify more.?‍? Take on board b40rt and his suggestions before finalising positioning.

Edited by section swept
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1