Drop-offs - Ouch!

v1nn1e

Found a local car park where I can practice during this virus lock-down.

There's a flood drain opening built in to the side of the bank just off the tarmac, the wall of which is about ~2' 6" - ish or so. Not done drop-offs from that height so here we go...

Did 4 or 5 and finally landed both wheels together. Not sure why that put more force through the pegs but because I was standing too far back it jerked the front of my foot sharply upwards and I've effectively sprained my right ankle, not too bad hopefully :( . Left was OK thankfully.

I should have learnt from watching Guy Martin's Great Escape, where he did the same, landing after a jump. Have now realised, the hard way, that I need to position my foot further forward so the force goes straight up my leg.

Just a warning for anyone else at the same stage. :)

• Like 1

Not condoning riding and risking injury during this difficult time in our histories but if you watch the top boys doing big drop offs they land back wheel first then let the rotation of the front coming down separately displace the energy over a greater time frame.

I guess lessons  to learn is don't do things with out instruction, don't try things on your own and stay off bikes at the moment -  what if the injury had been worse and you had come off in the corner of a quiet carpark down in a storm drain??

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 1

The embarrassment of turning up at my local hospital in riding gear and explaining i was out riding my bike when i should have been at home is more than enough for me not to even think of riding.

PS my local hospital has actually closed its A&E to better accommodate covid victims

• Like 2

Would it be clearer if instead of ‘don’t leave the house unless absolutely necessary’ Boris said ‘ don’t go out on your trials bike in a car park’.

This behaviour doesn’t do trials (or motorcycling in general for the uninitiated) any favours. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, v1nn1e said:

Found a local car park where I can practice during this virus lock-down.

There's a flood drain opening built in to the side of the bank just off the tarmac, the wall of which is about ~2' 6" - ish or so. Not done drop-offs from that height so here we go...

Did 4 or 5 and finally landed both wheels together. Not sure why that put more force through the pegs but because I was standing too far back it jerked the front of my foot sharply upwards and I've effectively sprained my right ankle, not too bad hopefully :( . Left was OK thankfully.

I should have learnt from watching Guy Martin's Great Escape, where he did the same, landing after a jump. Have now realised, the hard way, that I need to position my foot further forward so the force goes straight up my leg.

Just a warning for anyone else at the same stage. :)

If this happened at any point in history other than now, the responses would be totally different.

So let me give a different type of feedback:

Yes, proper landing technique is key when doing drop offs, thank you for pointing out one of the possible negatives of doing a drop off incorrectly.  heal up quick, but take the time necessary to do so.

Land with rear wheel first seems to be the best way, and as you said have the feet more forward on the pegs so that the ankle does not "dip down" when landing

10 hours ago, huski said:

Have to absorb the landing with your legs.A really good rear shock helps too.Definetly want the arch of your feet on the pegs on landing 

Boots with a good steel shank in the sole is really good for protecting the foot as well

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

23 hours ago, mlcompound said:

If it makes you feel any better I am certainly riding my new to me trials bike, regardless of the Coronavirus. It has been amazing! I can't wait to get off work and ride some more...

Well you're in a different country with a different set of circumstances but over here, we'd call anyone that said that a selfish ****. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 9:00 AM, mlcompound said:

There are only 38 active cases of Covid19 in my county and less than 10 in the hospital. My risk is incredibly low.

Not sure where you got those numbers from, but according to the Knox County website, there were 246 cases on 5/4, not 38.  There weren't that few cases in the County since early March.

https://covid.knoxcountytn.gov/case-count.html

But it's not really about you, anyway.  It's about being a vector and transmitting it to others who are potentially higher risk, or taking up hospital beds that could/should be reserved for those high risk patients. 

Rural hospitals are especially at risk because they don't typically have the infrastructure to deal with an outbreak.  10 infectious patients could very well be all the hospital can handle at any one time. 

We all want to go out and enjoy the outdoors and brap around and have a good time.  It's a personal choice if the risk of being a potential vector or taking up hospital resources if you're injured outweighs the personal benefits.  I'm certainly not locking myself up in my house 24/7.  Things like camping, hiking, or motorcycle riding are, by themselves, perfectly fine things to do when maintaining physical distancing.  There is little chance of transmission, but I know that if I'm out riding and hurt myself, I'm getting sent to one of those rural hospitals that probably has 5 beds.