Trials in the future.

breagh

. The future of trials UK ? could be very good a fresh start --  look at the state of trials add another course and it will fix everything  ! , Is this the perfect time start from scratch again ? 1 course a grading system  with club trials easy / center bit harder / national lot harder  just like the old days it worked and worked very well  it went from that to the  farce  we got now multi class multi course no grading !  so as it will be  a fresh start what have we got to lose to give it a try ? how trials got to the state its in now ? some riders pushing  the rules to the limit but with not bringing them riders back into line with the rules but  change the rules to the them riders  and welcome to state of  modern trials !  Wonder were trials would be now if Mr Tarris was given a 5 when he started stopping & hopping 

Edited by on it
add
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, on it said:

. The future of trials UK ? could be very good a fresh start --  look at the state of trials add another course and it will fix everything  ! , Is this the perfect time start from scratch again ? 1 course a grading system  with club trials easy / center bit harder / national lot harder  just like the old days it worked and worked very well  it went from that to the  farce  we got now multi class multi course no grading !  so as it will be  a fresh start what have we got to lose to give it a try ? how trials got to the state its in now ? some riders pushing  the rules to the limit but with not bringing them riders back into line with the rules but  change the rules to the them riders  and welcome to state of  modern trials !  Wonder were trials would be now if Mr Tarris was given a 5 when he started stopping & hopping 

Nice idea,don't think it would work round here as the skill level difference is so great now.Even club level experts can ,and want,to do the trick riding which will always be beyond the o/40 o/50 riders which are the majority of riders here,a lot of which have come to the sport fairly recently I think 2 routes would work,the top in each class wouldn't lose many,the ones at the bottom would lose more,as long as there wasn't an increase in injuries or bike damage it's worth a try.Some of our events have 8 classes which is ridiculous,where's the satisfaction in winning a class with 5 competitors in it.

It also takes longer to lay out so many routes which puts off some from helping out,and adds confusion where you're meant to be going

• Like 1

The EU is not flavour of the month for the Med countries at present, doesn't seem to be much goodwill or support flying about, so maybe we'll be buying our bikes in pesetas and lire once more. 

Way I feel now is I'll just be glad to get out for a play.

Modern trials are really fussy plus most involve a bit travelling , expense, plus the bike has to be right.

I really don't know if I could rise to this again , maybe it's an age thing, I want to ride but not all that goes with it.

In May I had an entry for a major trial, if someone waved a magic wand and said it's all on you can go I couldn't face it.

1 hour ago, breagh said:

Way I feel now is I'll just be glad to get out for a play.

Modern trials are really fussy plus most involve a bit travelling , expense, plus the bike has to be right.

I really don't know if I could rise to this again , maybe it's an age thing, I want to ride but not all that goes with it.

In May I had an entry for a major trial, if someone waved a magic wand and said it's all on you can go I couldn't face it.

Withdraw your entry and let someone who actually likes pre65 get a chance to enjoy it.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So what is likely to be the problem if we restart trails too soon...   Queues of riders waiting to sign on at the secretaries van, using the same pen and clip-board as that chap with the rough cough.

Queues of riders waiting to enter a complicated section, where everyone is getting stuck, and needs towing out...  The largest queue I have ever been in was over half the entry, 40 riders all waiting for their turn.

Also in the sections, everyone grabbing hold of the same branch, as they walk the section...  We would need to buy disinfectant by the gallon..  A new take on 'Cleaning a Section'.

21 hours ago, phiggs said:

So what is likely to be the problem if we restart trails too soon...   Queues of riders waiting to sign on at the secretaries van, using the same pen and clip-board as that chap with the rough cough.

Queues of riders waiting to enter a complicated section, where everyone is getting stuck, and needs towing out...  The largest queue I have ever been in was over half the entry, 40 riders all waiting for their turn.

Also in the sections, everyone grabbing hold of the same branch, as they walk the section...  We would need to buy disinfectant by the gallon..  A new take on 'Cleaning a Section'.

Modern petrol is designed to be purified by a catalytic converter, exiting a trials bike its carcinogenic, probably best stay at home ?

Edited by b40rt

On 5/4/2020 at 12:07 PM, phiggs said:

Ultimately as things ease the fear would ease.

A virus cant live on paper / card etc and unless pen was metal you're more likely to win the euromillions than catch anything from a pen / clipboard.
Anyway. Sign on could be easily solved - sign on and get number from car / van as you enter the ground - hope most people have or can have a pen in their car / van.
Enter on day either take form and fill in in car / van then social distancing as hand form / money over (see above re: transmitting via paper / plastic) or have a strict NO ENTRY on day policy.

Queues relatively easily managed, back to back with no side by side queuing.

If people wearing gloves (and from my experience most do) grabbing same branch etc wont matter a jot. Same for pulling people out of a section, picking up a bike if someone falls off etc etc.

Trials could be a relatively simple sport to run again with minimal changes.

NIH study showed that Covid-19 survives on cardboard for up to 24 hours, on plastic (eg punch cards in this context) up to three days.  Don't be too optimistic,  the common cold is a covid virus apparently and they've been trying, and failing, to find a vaccine for that for a very long time indeed.

50 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

NIH study showed that Covid-19 survives on cardboard for up to 24 hours, on plastic (eg punch cards in this context) up to three days.  Don't be too optimistic,  the common cold is a covid virus apparently and they've been trying, and failing, to find a vaccine for that for a very long time indeed.

I have also read that the current SARS virus can be detected on cardboard after 24 hours.  I am not sure if it is still "dangerous" as in it can infect you or if it is just detectable fragments of the RNA.  As it is still possible to buy/sell over the internet this is a transmission potential that needs better understanding.  We are still shipping product and having deliveries but at about 10% of normal.  All our stuff is boxed.  I've just ordered a chain and sprockets for the bike as well so more cardboard incoming....

I agree about the vaccine.  Don't hold your breath.  I think that the real plan - the one they don't tell you - is just for it to spread slow enough that the health industry can keep up.  Well, for lots of countries anyway.  Certainly the UK.

I would have thought club level trials is near the bottom in terms of risky sports and I hope very much that it is soon back on the agenda.  You can only clean the bike so often and end up buying sprockets and stuff when you are bored. ?

As long as you don't touch something then touch your face without washing your hands you should be pretty safe so keep 6ft away from everyone keep your gloves on and give your hands a good wash after the event I think it should all be manageable at some point in the future. I think the best I have heard was from a young person calling into the local news to "ask the expert" and asked "if the virus only lasts a few days and we have all been staying home for weeks how come it is still here?" - Answer - "Well we haven't ALL been staying home".

59 minutes ago, michael_t said:

As long as you don't touch something then touch your face without washing your hands you should be pretty safe so keep 6ft away from everyone keep your gloves on and give your hands a good wash after the event I think it should all be manageable at some point in the future. I think the best I have heard was from a young person calling into the local news to "ask the expert" and asked "if the virus only lasts a few days and we have all been staying home for weeks how come it is still here?" - Answer - "Well we haven't ALL been staying home".

The real problem is no one knows what is happening.  Even if your government is honest ours is not and your neighbour has the loony chap right now that thinks you should inject yourself with bleach or something like that.  Today it turns out some chap had it in France in December.  Where he caught it from is a mystery.  Because so many people have no real symptoms they are spreading it without realising it and have been doing for months.  It also seems that it lasts longer than people first thought and can be caught a second time after the much touted "immunity".

It's easy enough to imagine a trials meeting where people do not directly touch one another and are very unlikely therefore to spread any infection amongst the group.  But as your quote suggests not everyone will play the game.

Life is returning to how it was before the days of modern medicine.

2 hours ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Very very key words in that statement ‘up to 24 hours’

The very nature of most cardboard / paper means it’s largely absorbant so if someone had the virus (or any virus) and if they sneezed, coughed etc on the paper / cardboard then yes the virus would be transmitted onto that surface. Reality is that this would then absorb the moisture and the virus would be dead pretty quickly
If someone had the live virus on their hand (highly unlikely btw) and touched the paper / cardboard and it moved there, then again it would absorb, even quicker and die. 

for punchcards, gloves solve problem and really only the rider needs to touch it during trial and could be washed after trial. 

Like I said, small, simple and quick changes could make trials happen again. 

13 minutes ago, ChrisCH said:

The real problem is no one knows what is happening.  Even if your government is honest ours is not and your neighbour has the loony chap right now that thinks you should inject yourself with bleach or something like that.  Today it turns out some chap had it in France in December.  Where he caught it from is a mystery.  Because so many people have no real symptoms they are spreading it without realising it and have been doing for months.  It also seems that it lasts longer than people first thought and can be caught a second time after the much touted "immunity".

It's easy enough to imagine a trials meeting where people do not directly touch one another and are very unlikely therefore to spread any infection amongst the group.  But as your quote suggests not everyone will play the game.

Life is returning to how it was before the days of modern medicine.

Any virus can be caught a second time - colds, flu etc. 
If you’ve had it and beat it your body will store the Antibody in your white blood cells and if you catch again your body will fight much quicker.