Trials in the future.

breagh

Had a little test event on Zoom last weekend... this was the figure 8 challenge (was supposed to be 3 figure eights in a 10X15 space). We also did a static balance challenge - engine off so we could heckle each other :). Have a long list of other possible challenges... Just like a real event it does get harder when you string tape and have a camera on you and nerves kick in a little. Really just a little fun and a reason to get the bike out for a bit. Edited the video at the end to speed things up a bit ?

https://youtu.be/9Fx1D_64YV8

Edited by michael_t
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On line entry, make your own number plate at home, start at intervals , observers boards not punch cards. Cards are put in plastics bags and Results not collated for 3 days. Observer stays at least 2 m from section . Anybody watching keeps 2m distance, queuing is spaced out , we all walk sections 2m apart all work until we get back to the car park and stand  round talking or trying each other’s bikes or someone gets hurt and we need first aid/ ambulance etc

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, phiggs said:

There is the first problem to overcome...  How does the Club Committee organise the event, if all the Pubs are shut..?

Or decide if it’s stop allowed, no stop, eligible pre 65, how many classes are needed etc ???

• Haha 1

On 3/31/2020 at 10:34 PM, b40rt said:

Withdraw your entry and let someone who actually likes pre65 get a chance to enjoy it.

If I'm not dead or that unfit I can't start the Triumph I would enjoy it.

I imagine most of would be entrants and all the spectators will be in the self isolation big time group so it may be a quiet run round.

On a lighter note my wife has banned me from racing round the from garden on a pit bike for no reason whatsoever.

I don't get it only about 10 neighbours have complained.

Edited by breagh

15 hours ago, jimmyl said:

On line entry, make your own number plate at home, start at intervals , observers boards not punch cards. Cards are put in plastics bags and Results not collated for 3 days. Observer stays at least 2 m from section . Anybody watching keeps 2m distance, queuing is spaced out , we all walk sections 2m apart all work until we get back to the car park and stand  round talking or trying each other’s bikes or someone gets hurt and we need first aid/ ambulance etc

I suspect it's the risk of "or someone gets hurt and we need first aid/ ambulance etc"  part that will decide when normality resumes. It was a major thrust of the ACU's decision to cancel events.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2020 at 12:14 PM, esteve said:

I suspect it's the risk of "or someone gets hurt and we need first aid/ ambulance etc"  part that will decide when normality resumes. It was a major thrust of the ACU's decision to cancel events.

Am I the only one who has noticed the contradiction? The ACU considers trials to be sufficiently safe that the rules don't require any minimum standard for first aid and ambulance cover. Yet now they stop us riding in case someone gets hurt. It's hardly surprising of course as the whole sorry sage throughout the country (and most other countries it would seem) has been a mixture of irrational panic, do-as-I-say-and-not-as-I-do, and a total lack of joined-up thinking.

Edited by trapezeartist
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Am I the only one who has noticed the contradiction? The ACU considers trials to be sufficiently safe that the rules don't require any minimum standard for first aid and ambulance cover. Yet now they stop us riding in case someone gets hurt. It's hardly surprising of course as the whole sorry sage throughout the country (and most other countries it would seem) has been a mixture of irrational panic, do-as-I-say-and-not-as-I-do, and a total lack of joined-up thinking.

I think the current ACU stance was based upon 1 hr local exercise. No unnecessary travel, no groups if more than 2 or 3 etc.

The discussion in this post are about what happens next to which the ACU I believe  have not yet commented 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

A while ago you started a topic wanting first aid at trials and your still trying, So as someone that needed it = ambulance came could not get to me so mountain rescue too  a  air ambulance  So at this present time all that  would  put a strain on the system so a good move stop any chance of  it being needed ! ? As for your  minimum standard  tell us what is needed wheeled or air ambulance and mountain rescue all on stand by ?( because that was what was needed)  Who picks that bill up for that service having them sitting at a trial all day on the off chance  and is there enough of them to cover all trials over a weekend  ?  try to get that cost put on the entry fee ! Or do we keep the system as it is now that works we call them when they are needed  Do you require first aid cover every time you get on your bike on the drive or out at practice so why at trials ?

1 hour ago, on it said:

A while ago you started a topic wanting first aid at trials and your still trying, So as someone that needed it = ambulance came could not get to me so mountain rescue too  a  air ambulance  So at this present time all that  would  put a strain on the system so a good move stop any chance of  it being needed ! ? As for your  minimum standard  tell us what is needed wheeled or air ambulance and mountain rescue all on stand by ?( because that was what was needed)  Who picks that bill up for that service having them sitting at a trial all day on the off chance  and is there enough of them to cover all trials over a weekend  ?  try to get that cost put on the entry fee ! Or do we keep the system as it is now that works we call them when they are needed  Do you require first aid cover every time you get on your bike on the drive or out at practice so why at trials ?

All very reasonable but I'm very surprised that at least the clerk of the course doesn't have to be first aid trained. If I ran a club, I would ensure that we had first aid cover, and a portable defibrillator, but that's just me.... Because I'm unfit and accident prone. 

I have been riding trials for 48 years and cannot remember an ambulance ever needed except in 2006 a rider dropped dead at a vintage event riding between sections. He had a massive heart attack and was dead before he hit the ground, That rider was a Doctor that we stated was the clubs medical team. Sure we have had broken bones, torn acl`s and several bad cuts, but nothing too bad.

As an ACU coach we all need to be first aid trained.

we have cover at our british champ round.

we have first aid kit at our trials 

lit is probably true that not many events need an ambulance etc and when they do it can often be as described above needing a full turn out - but how many riders call into casualty on there way home or the next day - would suggest that number is significantly bigger 

Edited by jimmyl

11 hours ago, al_orange said:

All very reasonable but I'm very surprised that at least the clerk of the course doesn't have to be first aid trained. If I ran a club, I would ensure that we had first aid cover, and a portable defibrillator, but that's just me.... Because I'm unfit and accident prone. 

That more-or-less is what I was advocating some time ago. On It seems to be making up his own interpretation in order to stir up an argument. There are many people with first aid skills and qualifications, and I would just like to see those skills marshalled in the best possible way for the benefit of everyone. I do agree with the ACU and AMCA that an ambulance or specific first-aiders would be an overkill at a trial. That’s why I think trials events and practice would not be putting any unreasonable strain on the NHS.

6 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

... I do agree with the ACU and AMCA that an ambulance or specific first-aiders would be an overkill at a trial. That’s why I think trials events and practice would not be putting any unreasonable strain on the NHS.

I think that is fair.  However we are not going to get to ride until such time as the government agree to let larger groups of people get together.  The current limit is from the same household.  The missus and I can go practice together but no one else can join us at the practice venue.  At some point there will be a relaxation that larger groups of people can mix and then it is whether or not that number is large enough for a club meeting.

I agree that trials is a low risk sport and is ideally suited to participants being 2m apart.  I hope very much therefore we get an early opportunity to ride again, before the rugby/soccer and so on start.