Trials in the future.

breagh

Hi All, It's good to see that the ACU has made some plans for the resumption of our Trials, initially as Practice events.  These could be un-observed trials, which would cater for a much reduced entry list...  Maybe just all White Route Riders, with many sections set out for Practice and Training only.  ( with maybe a harder route in the afternoon.)

My local clubs have many very senior members who willingly turn up to observe, but I think that they will need to be protected and stay at home for now.   Lots of these seniors I have known for several decades, when they where at the top of their game, and I know how much they enjoy the sport.

21 hours ago, retromlc said:

I'm going to a practice ground on Monday, limited to 7 riders

I hope you have a nice time.  Do bear in mind this is not allowed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Para 1.1 "As with before, you cannot:

- gather in a group of more than two (excluding members of your own household), except for a few specific exceptions set out in law (for work, funerals, house moves, supporting the vulnerable, in emergencies and to fulfil legal obligations)"

There does seem to be a lot of confusion about the rules but they are pretty clear.  IMHO the owner of a practice ground is still required to keep it closed.  Lot of traffic on the internet now about all the things we can do, but a lot of people seem to think the "lockdown" is over.  It is not.  I think most of us (if we are honest) are bending the rules just a tiny bit past what they should be.  I'm pretty keen to get back to our local practice area but I would rather wait than have the landowner shut it altogether for fear of being fined.  For myself - as in just me personally  - I would take the risk, I'm sure it would not be hard to keep apart from other people if there are not too many of us.

• Thanks 1

I think it's an interpretation as in you can exercise by playing football,if you're a footballer, it's exercise in an open space, I was also emailed offering 1-1 enduro training, I think they have probably made sure it's ok, I'm going on my own, my mate might be going as well, and we'll be social distancing. Probably won't even see the others with luck

13 hours ago, retromlc said:

I think it's an interpretation as in you can exercise by playing football,if you're a footballer, it's exercise in an open space, I was also emailed offering 1-1 enduro training, I think they have probably made sure it's ok, I'm going on my own, my mate might be going as well, and we'll be social distancing. Probably won't even see the others with luck

1-1 training is OK as you are not meeting in more than 2 outside your household.  I don't think they will have made sure it's okay, I think like many of us they are looking at the bank balance and thinking I must get some business, but that's just my view.  Lots of activity round here and lots of it is a rule bend.

The problem is not people (like yourself) being sensible it is the 2 million people that want to go to the beach and be half an inch apart.  Have a good time and be careful, I can't wait for our local practice to open but I might wait a day or two for the crowds to thin out a bit ?

• Like 1

Even if we stay 5 metres apart, it seems like trials as we knew them are a thing of the past.   Maybe it time to register the bikes and all go 'Green Laneing'... one at a time.

This Virus spread throughout the world so quickly, and apart from the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, and a some other South Sea Islands, has infected all countries.

I have been listening to Manx Radio, and they now have just 0 or 1 deaths per day, with just 32 known infected persons still in hospital.  All travel into the Island has been stopped, apart from re-patriation of Manxmen, who need to quarantine for 14 days in a specially sanitised Hotel.    There is also a special testing procedure on trial in the Isle of Wight, but I don't know if ferry travel there has been stopped.

Edited by phiggs

17 minutes ago, phiggs said:

Even if we stay 5 metres apart, it seems like trials as we knew them are a thing of the past.   Maybe it time to register the bikes and all go 'Green Laneing'... one at a time.

This Virus spread throughout the world so quickly, and apart from the Solomon Islands, Tuvalu, and a some other South Sea Islands, has infected all countries.

I have been listening to Manx Radio, and they now have just 0 or 1 deaths per day, with just 32 known infected persons still in hospital.  All travel into the Island has been stopped, apart from re-patriation of Manxmen, who need to quarantine for 14 days in a specially sanitised Hotel.    There is also a special testing procedure on trial in the Isle of White, but I don't know if ferry travel there has been stopped.

You can still go to the Isle of Wight.

Last thing I read was that the UK would have a 14 day quarantine at the end of this month.  If so then hopefully this will help bring down the spread a little.  It's bad news for all of us wanting to go watch X-Trial on mainland Europe and bad news if people want to come here for the international events.  However it certainly doesn't stop us having a club trial.

In France now there are more restrictions than in the UK and one of them is a 100Km movement limit.  This seems to me to be a good idea (perhaps a bit generous distance but good principle).  Again such a restriction would not kill club riding.  There have been many sensible ideas floated like on line registration and so on that all help.  I really don't think we will be hit so very hard if I am honest, provided that the idiot government don't make too much of a screw up and it all kicks off again.

One thing in our favour is we are a small enough sport that not a lot of people are going to hold an opinion one way or another.  Getting Formula 1 car racing going might be a bit tougher...

On a lighter note, came across a greeting, developed with social distancing in mind, and which trials riders, with their good balance skills, would adapt to. "The foot shake". Persons are using the knuckle bump, and other greetings keeping their distanceing in mind. The foot shake fits well into trials riders good balanceing abilities. 

Art

On 5/14/2020 at 2:51 PM, ChrisCH said:

I hope you have a nice time.  Do bear in mind this is not allowed.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

Para 1.1 "As with before, you cannot:

- gather in a group of more than two (excluding members of your own household), except for a few specific exceptions set out in law (for work, funerals, house moves, supporting the vulnerable, in emergencies and to fulfil legal obligations)"

There does seem to be a lot of confusion about the rules but they are pretty clear.  IMHO the owner of a practice ground is still required to keep it closed.  Lot of traffic on the internet now about all the things we can do, but a lot of people seem to think the "lockdown" is over.  It is not.  I think most of us (if we are honest) are bending the rules just a tiny bit past what they should be.  I'm pretty keen to get back to our local practice area but I would rather wait than have the landowner shut it altogether for fear of being fined.  For myself - as in just me personally  - I would take the risk, I'm sure it would not be hard to keep apart from other people if there are not too many of us.

Trouble is i can do a track day in my car but cant go praticing i love trials but need a fix i know a few pratice tracks that are waiting for the ACU that i think is wrong low numbers pre booked and lets get out before we loose a lot of riders

Our Provincial Gov is asking for a plan for getting sports back up and running. We have had good luck getting flat water paddling and sailing approved - Going to work on a plan for trials tonight and hopefully get it approved... of course who knows if anyone will come (we struggled getting riders even before Covid :). 

8 hours ago, rick1962uk said:

Trouble is i can do a track day in my car but cant go praticing i love trials but need a fix i know a few pratice tracks that are waiting for the ACU that i think is wrong low numbers pre booked and lets get out before we loose a lot of riders

losing riders to covid would be worse?

41 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Golf is ok , fishing is ok, both individual sports. Trials practice should be ok ?

The NHS can probably cope better with a casualty now than a month ago 

Looking at the muppets on the beach here in the sunshine I think trials is the least of anyone's worries.

If only common sense was more common.

Edited by ChrisCH
  • Like 3

On 5/22/2020 at 8:53 AM, ChrisCH said:

Looking at the muppets on the beach here in the sunshine I think trials is the least of anyone's worries.

If only common sense was more common.

what like not driving from london to durham when you have the virus?

• Like 1

Haven't really looked at the ACU Rules since they stopped issuing ACU Handbooks, but I seem to remember that you are not allowed to 'Practice on known trials sections'.  So that is going to make it hard for Clubs to put on a practice event.  If they organise a scored event, then they would have to pay the ACU fees, and get a date organised first.   Also they would need to wait until 'Gatherings' are allowed.