24r brakes poor power

a7bas

Hi guys, I have just bought a new oset 24r, the standard Sram brakes on my bike are shockingly poor, I appreciate they are brand new discs and pads and will need to bed in, just wondering how long you guys took to get any power in them to pull a stoppie or to generally lock the brakes on? Or if anyone has the same problem or some tips?

On 4/2/2020 at 8:57 AM, a7bas said:

Hi guys, I have just bought a new oset 24r, the standard Sram brakes on my bike are shockingly poor, I appreciate they are brand new discs and pads and will need to bed in, just wondering how long you guys took to get any power in them to pull a stoppie or to generally lock the brakes on? Or if anyone has the same problem or some tips?

Update to the “CodeRSC” on the front back is fine as is 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 8:57 PM, a7bas said:

Initially i just upgraded the rotors to 203mm, after that i replaced the entire set up with Hope. The standard brakes are ok for very basic riding, once you want to get some stoppies or give it a bit more, they cant take it.

Fwiw I race DH mountain bikes so have some practice with putting these brakes to the test  Bedding in properly is absolutely critical to have them working well as is a good bleed.  Look up SRAMs videos on YouTube for details on both.  Sram code, magura and hope 4 pots, and Shimano saints are all largely equivalent in power.  Sram and shimano are the most common and will be easiest to find pads for and get bled at the local bike shop if you don't want to do it.  Srams are the easiest to bleed imo.  Hopes are the most bling and imo have the nicest levers.  Magura probably has the most progressive lever feel.  Codes are a nice mix of feel, power, and ease of setup. I own all of them and if I were built a bike today it'd get code RSCs, but I'd be happy to ride any of these.

203mm rotors are the cheapest and most impactful upgrade.  Get good ones, not Chinese crap from eBay.  Note that Magura usually uses thicker rotors than the others and hope can have some specific fitment as well, so don't count on all calipers working with all rotors.  

• 1 year later...

I feel the same way. The brakes don't have a lot of feel or power. Would love to swap the nice 4 piston on the front of my MTB but it is mounted on the left side and it cannot be flipped onto the right side. 

Before changing components going to try some green SwissStop pads. 

Edited by PAULIE