TY175 Fork Stiction Normal?

mcman56

Do TY175 forks normally have a lot of stiction, compared to a modern bike?  I disassembled, cleaned inside, polished fork tubes, installed new seals/ wipers and used the recommended quantity of ATF.  Pushing down on the individual tubes by hand they feel OK.  However, when mounted on the bike, there is a lot of stiction and they feel stiff.  I did try to align by tightening fasteners progressively with fork pumping in between.  The forks have more rake than a modern bike so there is more side ways force to create stiction so maybe that is it.  I used Allballs seals and they have a very tight seal to tube fit so that probably does not help.       

Did you polish the stanchion extremely well? They should never be like polished to mirror chrome instead have a silky shine. 

Easiest thing to check if they have buildet up some tension between the fork legs which result in a sticky performances. 

You might put the bike of a stand so the front wheel is still touching ground but bears no weight, then loosen all bolts hold the front wheel from the front with the legs while moving the bar a bit around then adjust to center, then tighten the wheel axle and drum mount, then first the triple clamps to the fork. 

That might help. 

I tried those Allballs fork seals and found them to make high striction. I think green SKF seals are among the best.

Use fork oil of correct grade. Or hydraulic oil. VG32 often OK. VG15 is thinner and VG46 is thicker

However, old forks will always have more striction then modern with teflon bushings and DLS coating

As mentioned, make sure there is no tension between fork legs. They must run as parallel as possible.

/Carl

It’s real easy to get the yokes out of line which will create friction. Try loosening the wheel spindle, guard stays and bottom yoke pinch bolts than give the handlebars a good shaking left to right and bounce up and down on the suspension, that should help to centre up the forks in the various attachment points. Clamp up the bottom yoke bolts then the wheel spindle then the guard brace hope this helps. Cheers 

Edited by paulmac

At Ebay. Problem can be to find correct dimensions.  If your stanchions are as thin as 30mm there will be problem as SKF start at 35mm. Kit 35M (35x47x10) fit many classic bikes. SKF also make for DH-bicycles. Perhaps you can find something there.

http://www.jwtimports.com.au/downloads/SKF-Fork-Seal-Measuring-Guide.pdf.

Edited by carl ekblom

• 4 weeks later...

I did some investigation and comparison with another TY175.  Most, it not all of the stiction was due to the fork boots.  They look like OEM but were some no name boot from ebay.  Once I cut the boots off, it feels pretty good.