Beta Evo fan problem

peter_steer

Some food for thought on the topic of fans. I switched from pump gas to VP Racing fuel, years ago, in my '96 Gas Gas, and the fan didn't come on all day, no other problems, but I thought there was something wrong. At the end of the day I was racing some kids in the pit with motocross bikes, that was fun, and bewildered them, and the fan came on, and I burned all the carbon out of the exhaust! I have since learned that the racing fuel runs much cooler and the fan runs much less often. Have a great day, feet up!

• 1 month later...

18 hours ago, worldtrialchamp said:

The fan controller is located within the headlight... How you could have resolved this without the controller is beyond me

The rectifier/regulator that takes the ac from the lighting coils and makes 12V dc is in the headlight but the switch that controls the fan is the thermal switch in the radiator. The fan runs on the 12V dc as does any LED lights and possibly the microcontroller in the CDI. Any incandescent bulbs can run directly off the ac from the lighting coil. 

On 6/5/2020 at 8:05 AM, worldtrialchamp said:

The fan controller is located within the headlight... How you could have resolved this without the controller is beyond me

You can remove the headlight and then remove the box off the headlight and mount it to a front number board with bolts. This is the way Beta UK tell you to do it for the SSDT. Unplug the lights but don't remove the wiring.  Dead easy. The connector to the headlight is the one at the bottom. Map switch at the top. Kill switch on the far right. Main harness connector on the left and right. This is the rear view. When fitted all this faces the headstock.

Screenshot_20200606-221616.jpg

Edited by rcgods
Clarity

On 6/6/2020 at 11:27 AM, dan williams said:

The rectifier/regulator that takes the ac from the lighting coils and makes 12V dc is in the headlight but the switch that controls the fan is the thermal switch in the radiator. The fan runs on the 12V dc as does any LED lights and possibly the microcontroller in the CDI. Any incandescent bulbs can run directly off the ac from the lighting coil. 

So you're claiming remove the headlight won't affect fan operation.. I've seen a number of EVOs boil from this....

2 hours ago, worldtrialchamp said:

So you're claiming remove the headlight won't affect fan operation.. I've seen a number of EVOs boil from this....

No I’m saying the fan “controller” is in the radiator but you need the regulator to run the fan. Semantics. 309F0284-FD03-466F-8535-899479D872D5.thumb.jpeg.f8d0b7461dcc223395e6d1d58d4aa840.jpeg

6C62EFD8-D4A7-46F8-8F06-3CD0F9C802FE.jpeg