2012 txt 250 kick start removing

MarkLathrope

Hi again guys is there any trick to getting off a seized on kick start I’ve followed the removal process by undoing the Allen bolts and using the lever to prize it off the splines. 
looking for tips  now how to remove I’ve soaked it in release agent 

thanks 

Edited by MarkLathrope

You might be able to exploit the fact that the splined shaft is steel and the kick starter housing is aluminum, so the two different metals will have different rates of expansion. Use a heat source (propane torch, electric heat gun) to heat the kick starter housing. That  may help to break any corrosion. Or it may be that the splines contain a thread-lock (which will be softened by the heat as well). Also gently tap the housing with a small metal hammer to try to break any corrosion. As a last resort a small bearing puller might be fitted to pull the housing against the shaft. Just take it easy on your actions; no welding torches and sledge hammers! ?

Thanks next stop was a blow lamp on the knuckle on the splines ?

shes had a full strip down and clean just a good general clean and tidy. Could really do with new wheel bearing  again what a pig to pull the rear spacers  they won’t budge 

CCB158FB-BD8B-4DCE-8D67-201C8D13FE90.jpeg

Looking good. Attempt to tap the wheel spacers out from the opposite side using a drift (i.e., through the axle shaft channel).

I fall a lot :) and so I've done well to wrap the header pipe with heat shield/exhaust weave so that I don't melt my pants and/or burn my leg; it can get stinking hot.

37 minutes ago, d2w said:

Looking good. Attempt to tap the wheel spacers out from the opposite side using a drift (i.e., through the axle shaft channel).

I fall a lot :) and so I've done well to wrap the header pipe with heat shield/exhaust weave so that I don't melt my pants and/or burn my leg; it can get stinking hot.

Get a rawlbolt of the appropriate size from somewhere like Screwfix and tighten it up in the spacer.Youve then got something solid to knock out from the other side

The easiest way is to us the centre bolt as the lever. 

Undo the centre bolt that holds the kicker onto the kick start shaft a couple of turns (and you will need to juggle the amount of turns out to get the correct amount of leverage), now fold the lever out towards the position you would kick start the bike.

The knuckle part of the lever should now come in contact with the centre bolt head, as you keep folding the lever out, it will draw the kickstart knuckle along the shaft and off. Sometime it will need a small tap on the inside of the kick arm to help it break free.

Done hundreds of bikes lie this in the workshop - works every time. Just juggle the amount of "out" on that bolt head to get the sweet spot.

Edited by arnoux