2013 Sherco ST250 for first bike?

Shelbyk7

I have the opportunity to get this trials bike and wanted some opinions 

I am curious if this model Is much upgraded over a 2006 sherco? The reason I ask is that my friend has an 06 and I know the price point I can get them at, wondering if going up to the 13 is worth it or not.

Thanks for the insight 

Edited by Shelbyk7
Misspell

I’m not willing to spend the price tag on 16+ Sherco

im wondering if the 13 is much different than the 06 models 

is the price difference in these two worth it? Are the gains in the 13 significant over the 06?

The 2013 Sherco is an excellent bike. More nimble and narrower than it's contemporaries. but like all the other makes it does have it's issues.

1.  The fork yokes can/will hit against the frame downtubes.  Inspect this area very carefully to check that this has not collapsed the tube/s and seriously compromised that area.  If they have then walk away.

2.  Replace all the plastic fuel pipe. because it WILL harden and perish after a year or so.  The fuel pump can then suck in air and cause you all sorts of weird and wonderful issues.  Replace it all - about two thirds of a metre will be needed.

12 hours ago, stpauls said:

The 2013 Sherco is an excellent bike. More nimble and narrower than it's contemporaries. but like all the other makes it does have it's issues.

1.  The fork yokes can/will hit against the frame downtubes.  Inspect this area very carefully to check that this has not collapsed the tube/s and seriously compromised that area.  If they have then walk away.

2.  Replace all the plastic fuel pipe. because it WILL harden and perish after a year or so.  The fuel pump can then suck in air and cause you all sorts of weird and wonderful issues.  Replace it all - about two thirds of a metre will be needed.

Is their a way to prevent the forks from getting smashed in?

48 minutes ago, Shelbyk7 said:

Is their a way to prevent the forks from getting smashed in?

It's not the forks that get smashed in.  The fork yokes (the things that hold the forks to the frame) actually bump against the frame when they are on full lock (turned left or right) as far as you can.  The plastic bump stop actually moves out of the way when the knife-edge like fork yokes bump against it and allows them to "chop/cut through the FRAME down tubes.  I made some frame protectors out of electric conduit tubing, but after a while it would cut through them.  

At a trial a couple of years ago I recognised a 2013 rear tanker (yellow frame, with a non-removable silencer tip) that had a blue frame.  Chatting to the owner revealed that the yokes had broken the frame and Sherco had GIVEN them a new frame (2015), but they had to fit it themselves.  The same issue remained.

Edited by stpauls

19 minutes ago, Shelbyk7 said:

Are these problems every bike will have or is this model sherco notorious for having bad issues?

Just the Shercos that have the rear fuel tank.  The others before and since are fine.

If it's still got the Formula brakes on avoid it,they were a nightmare,used to stick on.Most would have been replaced with AJP or braktec by now,it's an expensive upgrade tho.Welding reinforcements to the frame where the fork yokes hit isn't a big deal,neither is replacing the fuel lines,it's a far better bike than the 06 that you mention