Rebuilding a model 49 Sherpa

Ian T

My google searches for information kept pointing me here, so I thought I'd better get involved!

I am rebuilding my dad's Bultaco Sherpa which he had planned to do himself, but unfortunately he died unexpectedly a few months ago.

Apart from the Sherpa I have a few Greeves trials bikes (I am on the Greeves Riders Association committee) and also ride a Royal Enfield 350 Bullet on occasions.

I hope to find some help here for my Bultaco project, and of course if I can offer any assistance in return then I'd love to.

• Like 1

Welcome to TC. My condolences about your father, went through the same thing about 27 years ago. Very cool that you are going to bring his Sherpa T back to life and I,m sure you will find all the help and advice that you need here in the Bultaco gate. As you might already know, Inmotion is the place to go for parts and probably also advice/help.

Cheers and good luck !

What model Sherpa is it you are rebuilding? In Motion are a mine of information and it always pays to ask if you don’t see what you need on their website. Its worth a look at the available parts and there are others that have parts but In Motion is also Bultaco UK. Enjoy the bike the Bultaco is not a difficult engine to work on but the gearbox has caught a few out with selectors that can fit the wrong way. Just be careful and all should be well. 

Hi thanks for the comments.

To say the least it was sh't luck for dad (heart attack) and being so sudden there was much that I didn't have a chance to ask! When I was about 10 we rebuilt a little 50cc Yamaha engine together and it's funny because the gearbox oil smells exactly the same! Unfortunately I can't ask why he had started taking the Sherpa engine apart in the 80s, but I can see that the main bearings are shot, so perhaps having taken the top end off he saw no point putting it back.

Anyway I will start a thread in the Bultaco section to chart the progress. Inmotion haven't replied to my emails but looking at the website they might be a little overrun with orders having low staff. I will give them a call soon as there are quite a few bits I need.

I will take a lot of care with the gearbox because having battled to disassemble the engine once I don't want to have to pull it all apart again later!

Edited by Ian T
  • Like 1

In Motion are closed for Easter, open again Tuesday. With the gearbox, there is one selector that will fit either way around, if wrong 4th and 5th gears can't be selected, it will only go to 3rd, so just test the gears with a dummy build of just the gearbox and selector mechanism to ensure all 5 engage before fully assembling

• Like 1