Majesty barrel sleeved????

Yamagodden

If you look where the sleeve meets the aluminium casting at the transfer ports you may be able to see if the sleeve has ever been replaced. This is because on Yamahas the aluminium part is cast around the sleeve but when it gets resleeved the old sleeve is completely machined away and the new sleeve is inserted.

What is it about the cylinder that makes you think that it once had a sleeve for an 80mm piston?

I took  my bike to mick Andrew's  and sam brownlee,  mick asked if it was 80 mm bore , I had had the head off before  and new it was 70mm. They told me about the barrels that jonh shirt did and said you might see this as a thin ring. 

3 hours ago, Yamagodden said:

It says  on here  the works majesty engine barrel was  standard barrel  took to 74 mm and a liner back to 70 . This was what I was referring  to,  

Where are you seeing that reference? It doesn't sound right

On 4/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Yamagodden said:

Look on this site under works majesty, ksmith  was the writer and owner. This was what mick and sam was explaining to me . It seems it's called a s type barrel.  

I found it. This is taken from a 2014 post by ksmith

Yes this 250cc OW10 engine was from the 1973 cantilever bike, but it is worth pointing out that all other Yamaha Works Trials bikes ( what ever the model ) had there engines numbered OW10, they are all are very different, ( O= prototype W= works and the 10 denotes TY). note the clutch case and clutch cable on Mick Andrews OW10 cantilever bike below. About ten (250cc) engines were made for the cantilever bike but only a few have survived, at a glance they look like TY twinshock engine`s but none of the components are interchangeable they are one off`s. The barrel is the Majesty S type only used on the Majesty Works bike`s it is a TY barrel bored to 74 mm and re`sleeved with new port timing, the finished bore is 70 mm ID with a stroke of 63 mm. Please see the photos below.

Many thanks to Mr Clay Seltzer (vintageworksbikes.com) and Mr Torsten Hallman (four times World MX Champion) for explaining the meaning of Yamaha works numbers.

Can't tell from your photo if yours has been resleeved.

Be aware when you resleeve a motor the sleeve usually has a shoulder at the top to stop the sleeve moving downwards through the cylinder, so if you are going to measure the OD of the sleeve, measure it at the bottom end.

It was because mick and sam said about the sleeve and how to spot it, ie no mention off stepped  sleeve and the reading of above artical of a 2mm wall  thickness sleeve. You can see the sleeve on the bottom of the works barrel  clearly, I just did not want to pull my engine down yet to inspect further. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...