M49 Carb leak

fxadamo

After finishing up my 1970 M49, when I turned on the gas, I get a leak  from the top of the banjo fuel filter (white  area). In the parts book looks like there is no gasket between that and the float bowl , just the filter. I already replace the the o-rings and bowl gasket so I'm guessing I need a new filter/and or a float needle? It still has the original plastic needle in it. One last thing, would a NGK B6ES (.021 gap) plug be the right one to use? Thanks

banjo.jpg

The top ring of the filter is normally the only thing used to seal the top side of that banjo joint. There may be a minute defect in the filter ring or either of the metal surfaces. There is no law against using a bit of sealant there.

Other possibilities include a tiny hole or crack in the bowl or the banjo bolt thread bottoming out.

A protruding tip plug is better for that motor. I use BP5ES and BP6ES. Yes 0.021" is a good gap if you still have the standard ignition system.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, feetupfun said:

The top ring of the filter is normally the only thing used to seal the top side of that banjo joint. There may be a minute defect in the filter ring or either of the metal surfaces. There is no law against using a bit of sealant there.

Other possibilities include a tiny hole or crack in the bowl or the banjo bolt thread bottoming out.

A protruding tip plug is better for that motor. I use BP5ES and BP6ES. Yes 0.021" is a good gap if you still have the standard ignition system.

The bolt appears to tighten fine, I'll try a little sealant first before ordering a whole kit. And I'll try the BP6ES plug. Thanks!

3 hours ago, bullylover said:

Do you have a fibre washer on the bottom of that bolt? Put one in there and it may tighten everything up.

Yes, I do have the fibre washer  at the bottom. Looked like the gas was coming from the top of the banjo filter. Going to try a little sealant  as Feetupfun said. Thanks!

The banjo’s have a habit of distorting, due to overtightening, three solutions, buy a new one, try and resurface it with 1000 grit on a flat surface or use gasket cement - I’ve tried all three numerous times - never been particularly successful with the resurfacing bit  ?, hope this helps. Cheers 

Edited by paulmac
  • Like 1