Tech Fork Baseline Settings

OregonComrade

Posted this in the Montesa forum (since that is what I have) but since it's generic to many brands figured I'd post it here too for some more exposure.

The spring preload side (left side), what is the base setting?  The Manual talks about "turning" it, what direction?  I pulled up the tech docs directly from Formula and it says:

"Our advice is to start leaving the adjuster in middle position (you can reach the standard position by screwing it completely and unscrewing it 5 turns). After this, you can try to modify the preload, turning the governor one turn at a time, in way to feel every possible little change."

My hunch is CCW is less and CW is more?  Based on the paragraph above I would assume turning it CW until it stops and unscrewing it CCW by the 5 turns?

Thanks!

21 hours ago, al_orange said:

Yep. Righty tightly, lefty loosey. 

Same with the rebound and compression adjusters. 

I wasn't convinced their "screw" vs "unscrew" terminology to be correct.  When you turn the preload adjuster it doesn't visibly move in or out of the fork cap.

Are you in agreement with turn all the way "in" aka CW and then out from there 5 turns as a good starting point?

1 hour ago, OregonComrade said:

I wasn't convinced their "screw" vs "unscrew" terminology to be correct.  When you turn the preload adjuster it doesn't visibly move in or out of the fork cap.

Are you in agreement with turn all the way "in" aka CW and then out from there 5 turns as a good starting point?

Yes. Almost all suspension (but not all) generally counts the turns/clicks out from all the way in. "In" being CW until it stops, and "out" being CCW. The reason being, you can screw all the way in without issue but in some cases, screwing out until it stops or the adjuster comes out can cause issues/damage. 

• Like 1