TLR 200 carb rebuild

jonesy57

Hello!

Just picked up a TLR200 Reflex 1987 for my son.  Looking for a carb rebuild kit for this but have not been able to find one - any suggestions? Would rather not spend the money for an OKO if possible but also don't want to put a junk carb on there.

Thanks

This forum has been declining in people willing to offer help, but in light of what is going on in the world that may change.

I will offer what I've discovered/ have learned. You may need to go that route as well if you don't want to buy new.

A high quality ultra sonic cleaner is a good idea if your bike sat idle for yrs. or if your carburetor ingested particle/ debris. I've have good luck using one with a high quality solvent and there are ones that work well which are not petroleum based. In my experience if you find crud in the float bowl you may be hard pressed to get any cleaning results w/o an ultrasonic cleaner or similar. Unfortunately good ones are costly, but if you buy a large one they clean more than just carburetors.

You may find people may respond to this post suggesting not to waste your time with a Reflex carburetor. Below is a link that I've followed. It's a good approach.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-tlr200-reflex-carb-carburator-fix-jetting-thread.772320/

Good luck

I've got 2 TLR 250's & i first bought an oko which for me was a waste of time & $, it doesn't fit the standard manifold or airbox, i rang the importer down here & he said you have to run a Sock type airfilter in the open, he did tell me i should be able to make up some sort of cover for it  ? ! This is not what i wanted to do as i would be riding through Creeks etc, I bought a 22mm Sheng Wey for $60 Aus so probably a lot less for you ?

They fit perfectly, look the same & the Honda jets fit as well, they are a direct copy of the Keihin, it went that well i bought another 1 for my other TLR 250, the jets don't have #'s on them & i've played around with the pilot, main & needle just because i can ;)  i know a few blokes over here have bought Keihin rebuild kit on ebay & said the work very well, the other thing is, sometimes the float may have a pi prick hole in it ?

Edited by eagle8

1 hour ago, eagle8 said:

I've got 2 TLR 250's & i first bought which for me was a waste of time & $, it doesn't fit the standard manifold or airbox, i rang the importer down here & he said you have to run a Sock type airfilter in the open, he did tell me i should be able to make up some sort of cover for it  ? ! This is not what i wanted to do as i would be riding through Creeks etc, I bought a 22mm Sheng Wey for $60 Aus so probably a lot less for you ?

They fit perfectly, look the same & the Honda jets fit as well, they are a direct copy of the Keihin, it went that well i bought another 1 for my other TLR 250, the jets don't have #'s on them & i've played around with the pilot, main & needle just because i can ;)  i know a few blokes over here have bought Keihin rebuild kit on ebay & said the work very well, the other thing is, sometimes the float may have a pi prick hole in it ?

What was the carby that didn't fit?

3 hours ago, slip_kid said:

This forum has been declining in people willing to offer help, but in light of what is going on in the world that may change.

I will offer what I've discovered/ have learned. You may need to go that route as well if you don't want to buy new.

A high quality ultra sonic cleaner is a good idea if your bike sat idle for yrs. or if your carburetor ingested particle/ debris. I've have good luck using one with a high quality solvent and there are ones that work well which are not petroleum based. In my experience if you find crud in the float bowl you may be hard pressed to get any cleaning results w/o an ultrasonic cleaner or similar. Unfortunately good ones are costly, but if you buy a large one they clean more than just carburetors.

You may find people may respond to this post suggesting not to waste your time with a Reflex carburetor. Below is a link that I've followed. It's a good approach.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/honda-tlr200-reflex-carb-carburator-fix-jetting-thread.772320/

Good luck

That is about jetting which is fine. But he should buy the gasket set and the needle and seat from Honda. I have saved several badly corroded TLR200 carbs and they came out fine with a little TLC.

20 hours ago, lineaway said:

That is about jetting which is fine. But he should buy the gasket set and the needle and seat from Honda. I have saved several badly corroded TLR200 carbs and they came out fine with a little TLC.

"Looking for a carb rebuild kit", which implies disassembly. Eventually someone was going to chime in about the horribly lean jetting the Reflex can have. 

Yes, dealer for parts I agree. I ran out of time while composing. Thanks for backing me up.

Depending on a particular scenario, running issues thought to be carburetor related will likely involve some level of disassembly. If you get to that point and discover a likely culprit is varnish or ingested debris you have to do something. Compressed air won't get you very far, many people give up and buy some replacement. That's ok too, but with some tenacity most carburetors can be revived, regardless of whether there is something better as a replacement. 

There are always people suggesting not to bother with a Reflex or don't expect a "real" experience on one or why dump all this money into one. The thing is we all start somewhere and why not on a Reflex if that's your budget or love? I loved my '91 Fantic 309 (in retrospect). I did not care for the USD forks and I do not miss the heavy clutch pull (despite a Section One cable), but everything else (except premix) I absolutely loved.

• Like 1

I have an 86 reflex and in vintage has been competitive. The carbs are very simple and are easy to clean. Use a bicycle brake cable and cut a strand off it. About 2-3". You can push that through the orifices. Plus use carb cleaner.

I richened up the mix by installing a small washer or 2 under the main needle clip. Make sure you don't go too far or the needle will prevent the carb from closing.

This was the fastest and easiest  way to check if the carb is improved.  No money spent....