Replacing lower fork clamp

smarty156

I need to replace the lower fork clamp on my 2014 Racing GasGas.

So, how do i do it and what tools do I need?

Is it going to be one of those 'harder than it looks jobs'?

Many thanks.

Edited by smarty156
Wording

You will need to disasembly in this order:

Front brake, front wheel, forks and then triple clamps.

Then, press stem out bottom triple clamp. The one I removed took 6tons.

Good time to put new bearings.

I have my nice shiny new lower clamp now, so I've done some research and watched some videos.

I'm thinking it may be simpler if I leave the steering stem and bearings in the old lower clamp (given how difficult it seems to be to remove the stem and bearings) and just get a new stem with new bearings for the new clamp. That way I don't need a press to remove the stem/bearings and I'll be replacing the bearings anyway. Or would I still need a press to install the new stem?

If I need a press can I get a cheap one? Where from in the UK?

Only problem is, can't seem to find anywhere to buy a new stem. Will try John Shirt if this is a sensible option.

In the mean time, is it easy enough to get the new bearings onto the stem? Do I need any special tools? I see Laser do this:

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/5168

For removing the races from the headstock, do I need the Sealey puller like this:

https://www.sealey.co.uk/product/5637192210/motorcycle-steering-stem-bearing-race-removal-tool

I did see a video where they knocked them out like wheel bearings - is that safe?

Is there a tool for the lock nut?

Sorry for all the questions. Just thought while I had plenty of time to do it at the moment now would be a good time but I have limited facilities.

Edited by smarty156

Yes it needs pressed in. A spanner wrench should be used, but a punch can do it. A punch or screwdriver will leave the nut with a mark. Removing the races can be more trouble than it`s worth unless it needs to be done.

Thanks for your replies.

Just waiting to see if my father in law has anything suitable to fit new stem. If not, it's either a case of me waiting until lockdown is lifted and finding somewhere friendly with a press or buying one for about £100. Any ideas what else I can use a hydraulic press for to make it worth while? ?

Haha.

Well, my father in law is going to do it for me if i send him the parts (he's an engineer).

Good news is I get everything apart and off the bike. Unfortunately, the gorilla that was the previous owner has damaged the stem and stripped the thread on the stem nut retainer screw. So, because he'd done that he screwed right through the nut AND the stem! Which meant the thread on the stem was damaged and it was quite a struggle to get the castle nut off the stem. Which means I definitely need a new stem and retaining nut plus there's now no thread on the nut retaining screw. Hoping father in law will re-tap it and put a larger screw in. Some people shouldn't be let loose on bikes. I'm not a mechanic (hence all my questions) but I do at least find out how to do something and then get the right tools to do it.

• Like 1

Quick question, the nut on top of the stem holding the top yoke is quite thin. Can you get a socket (30mm) that sits on it fully? My socket doesn't seem to fully seat and I'm slightly worried it would damage it if it slips.