Bultaco fork legs: refurb vs buying new ones

Ian T

From what I can see it will cost me around £200 to have a pair of Bultaco fork legs rechromed/refurbished. And that's assuming they can deal with the taper at the top for the fork yoke (early Sherpa).

Or I buy new ones for half that price from inmotion. Are the inmotion ones likely to be of a comparable quality/tolerance? Anyone else bought them and have an opinion? Presumably they are a pattern part and not genuine old Bultaco stock.

Thanks!

Hi Ian T

I'm refurbishing a later Sherpa 198A and had exactly the same decision to make a few weeks ago. I got similar costs quoted so I decided to buy new ones from InMotion. These are different to yours as mine have parallel tops. I'm pretty sure they are pattern replacements but that said I thought the quality was excellent. Everything fitted and lined up as expected and they had a quality feel about them. I haven't tested them on the bike yet as that is a long way off but I think the InMotion ones are fine. I'm glad I bought them as eventually I found a nasty crack in one of the originals right down at the bottom where the circlip holds in the damper assembly.

Good luck!

• Like 4

Hi Ian. 

I'm rebuilding a 49 as well at the moment and I bought a set tapered fork tubes for £95 from moto classic UK who said they supplied in motion and they are a good fit and good quality. Hope this a help, good luck with the rebuild. 

• Like 2

If they fit perfect you can use custom made ones.

To the intus that has been rebuild:

- you can give them a grinding to your wishes or needs,

- you can give them a straightening to your needs uptoo 1/500

- give them an overbiore to compensate wear in the lower shafts,

Did some extra straightening and some extra chrome to compensate wear to two used pair of forks and was very pleased, costs doesn't mit but accurately these pairs are now.