Advice on choosing trials bike

motochamp125

Hello,

i need some advise on choosing the correct engine for a first trial bike. I have been riding MX since i was a kid and i have let say intermediate enduro skills.   I was analyzing the newer models and will probably get a gasgas but cant figure out how does the different engines 250/280/300 feel like.. it looks like all of them have same stroke and the difference comes from the bore. i guess as with any other engine the bigger the piston the more power..  at first my idea was to get a 300cc, but is this stronger engine will affect the learning curve?  I am 180 cm and 74 kilos and as of now i am hesitating between the 250 and 300 cc engines.. i would to improve my balance skills (in life too :) ) to get better clutch control  / body positioning and of course to have fun without driving 50 km away to any mx/enduro track

here in Sofia where i come from, there is no Trial dealers, riders or anything related to trials.. therefore no tests are possible.

thank you in advance and have a great week

cheers

Ves

• Thanks 1

Riding a trials bike is very different to riding an MX bike. 

I'd recommend a 250 until you've gotten used to the feel of a trials bike. You will soon realize that a 250 will have a lot more power than you will need. 

A 250 will give you more time to get your head up and have a look whereas the 300 will more than likely pull you into trouble.

I've ridden for a few years now and have had different bikes, 250's and 300's. I recently dropped back down to a 250 again and my riding has improved as a result. 

I ride a Beta 250 now and it is spot on for what I need. They are all good these days and you won't go far wrong with a 250 Gas Gas if that's what you fancy. I had three in a row and they were excellent bikes.

All the best and enjoy.

• Like 3

A 250 is more than powerful enough to learn trials riding on, even experienced MX riders will find a trials riding a totally different animal. I have a few friends who have been top Mx riders now riding trials and they struggle with bigger cc trials bikes. 

My advice is to start with no bigger than a 250, learn the basic trials skills, maybe ride a few events then after a while you can decided whether you want to take the plunge to a bigger machine.

• Like 2

250 2t best but for starter. Buy as new as you can. GG or Beta a good option. 4RT peerless build quality, great fun to ride but a little bit heavier . 2 stroke better for competing organised events IMHO. Condition paramount. If it looks a bit rough, then its  been not well looked after & there may be trouble ahead.. 300 for more experienced riders.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lineaway said:

Why would you Gas Gas if you have no dealers. Go with something dependable like a Beta or Montesa. You do realize the future of Gas Gas has not been real clear and bikes are not available.

There is just no dealer of any trial brand in Bulgaria.. there is no one riding trials. why do you think the GG is not reliable ?

Edited by motochamp125

Gas Gas seems as reliable as any of the brands. My 2017 has needed nothing, friends ride the Montesa 4RT and Vertigo and Sherco. We have no local dealer, so we all order parts online. I recently rode a 2019 Gas Gas 125 TXT racing and was impressed with how good a 125 is. Don't pass up on any of the engine sizes if you see a good one you can try.

Art   

Becareful with GasGas, the brand has recently been bought by KTM who wants to renover their Enduro range.

There are no information for trial bikes but their future (and this is also the case for spare parts) is not guaranteed. I am not sur that buying a GasGas now is a good idea.

For the motor, agree with others, 250 cc is probable the best compromise for beginners.

280 cc are Real violent, 300 cc have more inertia and are maybe less fun.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sherco70 said:

Gas Gas seems as reliable as any of the brands. My 2017 has needed nothing, friends ride the Montesa 4RT and Vertigo and Sherco. We have no local dealer, so we all order parts online. I recently rode a 2019 Gas Gas 125 TXT racing and was impressed with how good a 125 is. Don't pass up on any of the engine sizes if you see a good one you can try.

Art   

KtM dropped every single Gas Gas dealer in North America 3/31/2020. 

• Like 2

With no dealers and no one riding trials you are going to be hard pressed to compete. Heaven only knows after the Covid-19 just how many trials dealers/manufacturers will be still in business. A number of options are, find a dealer that will sell you a bike and spares in the current situation.....doubtful. How are you legitimately going to find and buy any bike from anywhere? As you ride already balance and technique will more than likely quickly develop the more you practice trials. You should go for (according to your funds) something that has been well cared for, is reliable and easy to ride. As you have MX experience you will know which MX bikes are most likely to spit you off the back or try to rip your arms off. So its the same thing for trials bikes, but as you cant test them you will need to do your research carefully. In your situation I would be looking very favourably at a Beta or Montesa with in my case a 2T engine. Hope you work it out and get something that you grow to like. Check out the reliability and issues on this web site.

• Like 2

Dealers have crated and shipped the last two machines friends have purchased. Knowing a reputable dealer has worked well as dealers are not close in this corner of the USA.  

I'm sure this has helped them with the pandemic close down

Art  

Edited by sherco70
  • Like 1

Beta have a dealer network and importers in Romania.  That might be a good brand to look at.  You would probably be able to get spare parts and service items easily.  The Beta Evo 250 2T is a good bike to start on and popular here in England.  If you can find a local secondhand bike at the right price then I guess that will make the decision for you.  250cc is more than enough to start with and probably all anyone will ever need until you get to a very high level.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Based on your indication of possible gas gas I am going to say it sounds like your most interested in 2t (2 stroke), if so I would say 250.  If you end up considering a 4t (4 stroke) the Beta 300 would be fine or a Montesa 260 would be good as well.  Even after riding lots of differnt bikes over the years I was very glad that I started on a 250 for my first trials bike and would most likely be on a Montesa 260 if I had been able to get a Repsol when I upgraded but they only sold the standard or the 300 in the US at the time and I wanted the upgraded suspension.  

Even at 89 kilos (196 lbs) I really don't need the 300 and would probably ride better on a 250.  

Oh, and I would echo the comments on getting something other than a Gas Gas based on the current state of the company.  If the Gas Gas seems like a good bike I would say you might like the TRS (TRRS?) as they ride more like a Gas Gas than the Beta's I have been on and it is not a company that is currently in question for the future.  My top choices for 2T bikes are TRS, Beta, and Sherco/scorpa all great bikes and your very likely to be able to get support for a long time with any of them.  

Hope that helps.  

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1