skids

Ftwelder

My apologies for posting in the wrong sub-forum but this crowd typically will know most about the BSA unit single and it's application in trials.  I am building up a B25 motor/modded B44 frame with old Bultaco suspension and wheels.  I am ready to make my skid and have a few questions based on zero trials but other technical knowledge. 

Thinking 5mm/3/16 plate which ill heat treat to T6 after welding. Do I need to extend beyond the frame rails?  I weld aluminum daily and was uythinking keeping the skid narrow and patching the covers when/if they get damaged.  Will I need a spare in my tool box? 

How much case contact are you making?

i would like to add I removed the studs and plan to use socket heads for slightly more clearance  

Thanks much

49786177091_5501a22c19_c.jpgUntitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

Edited by Ftwelder
Added info
  • Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 2:49 AM, b40rt said:

I'd rather loose a mark by grounding a wide sump guard, than not finish a trial having damaged my ignition / gears. It really depends on what sort of terrain your competing in. 

That makes perfect sense. It's rocky/muddy here with no established trials lines/low trials skill level so i should start with "plenty". Thanks again gents!  

49811751392_0df86c1df4_c.jpgUntitled by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr

Edited by Ftwelder
add image
  • Like 1