Trials bike lockdown

mrorange

Obviously no trials for the last month and maybe months to come so what is the best way to store your bike if your unable to get out and start it for long periods of time. And especially on fuel injected models that its hard to empty fuel from. 

During the winter, with no area open, I ride 10 to 15 minutes in the driveway, figure eights, full lock turns, static balance, may look nuts to the neighbors, but keeps the jets clean, and only mix the gas 1/2 liter at a time. Keep it fresh. Have mostly gone back to this with the pandemic, but do have a fellow trials bud who has several acres of property and have been out to his personal trials sections. But can not count on this.

Art  

It does go off,but it'll still run.My road bike still has the fuel in it from September,still starts and runs the same,might have less power,but I don't know as I'm not riding it.My trials bike gets started weekly for 15mins of driveway practice,but the fuel in that is only 6 weeks old.When it's OK to ride them properly again I'll fill them with fresh fuel,main thing is to start them regularly 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mrorange said:

Obviously no trials for the last month and maybe months to come so what is the best way to store your bike if your unable to get out and start it for long periods of time. And especially on fuel injected models that its hard to empty fuel from. 

My feeling is that we won't be back in action for a very long time - well beyond the period that fuel stabiliser is claimed to work.  I can't entertain stripping the road bike down so will just have to hope the stabiliser does the job there.  However, I did spend ten minutes or so removing all traces of petrol from the tank and injection system on the 4RT.  It was not a difficult job.

16 hours ago, huski said:

It does go off,but it'll still run.My road bike still has the fuel in it from September,still starts and runs the same,..

Both mine and the missus' road bikes need MOT in March and so they got tested and a short run and new petrol "ready".  Of course what I was getting ready for has not happened...

I'm back to winter mode and run them for a few minutes every so often and charge the battery from time to time.  At least with a trials bike it is easy to take the tank off and they still have a petrol tap that lets you empty the carb if you need to.  I had a VFR750 that the petrol turned to gel in after nearly two years, but that is the only time I've had a need to do anything other than top up with fresh petrol.  The lawnmower overwinters and still starts first pull.

Lucky you who has got a little distance from the properties nearby. I brought some logs to our drive and made it to something to ride/jump over. Next thing I saw was an angry neighbour (not even mine) to complain about the noise. I think everyone is a little bit on the edge and since it is much more quiet than usual, that was the end of it. Next property I am going to buy will have some space around! 

Great time to learn to balance stationary. Once you can do this for say 30 sec, start on hopping the front. Back break on full, motor off, The motion is compress the forks, move body back and up using your legs (they should do most of the work).

If you dab on the outside, you moved more that the bike, Dab inside, bike went too far.

If you can do this, it is a brilliant fitness exercise. 

On 4/24/2020 at 11:12 AM, Petr said:

Lucky you who has got a little distance from the properties nearby. I brought some logs to our drive and made it to something to ride/jump over. Next thing I saw was an angry neighbour (not even mine) to complain about the noise. I think everyone is a little bit on the edge and since it is much more quiet than usual, that was the end of it. Next property I am going to buy will have some space around! 

It's amazing to me that people bitch about the noise of a motorcycle, then get out their petrol lawnmower with a busted exhaust after which they get a leaf blower which they rev up at half second intervals for an hour as they are too lazy and too environmentally destructive to use a rake and a broom.  Most people round here use their buzz-buzz-buzz leaf blower to blow the grass cuttings into the road so they blow about into everyone else's garden but the pillock with the leaf blower has a nice tidy garden.

Don't know where you live, but in the states they sell a product for preserving the gas in fuel tanks.  It's called "STABIL".  It works fine for all gas engines. 4 stroke or 2 stroke- your gas should last at least 6 months or more if you slosh it around a bit when you mix it into the tank.  One ounce of Stabil will treat about  gallon of gas.

Yes, similar product here in UK https://www.wynns.eu/product/fuel-stabilizer/

You can also buy longlife fuel for small petrol engines like chainsaws.  I have no idea what any of this does to a high performance engine of the type fitted to a trials bike.  I wouldn't take the chance myself.  My TRS tank comes off very easily and could be drained without any problem.  You can run the carb dry just as easily.  The Beta tank is integral so not so easy.  I remember from my youth that leaving carbs dry they then leak as the gaskets dry out, but no idea if that is still the case.  And the OP question about fuel injection - sorry I am clueless on that.

I run up our road bikes once a fortnight and now that we cannot use the trials bikes I run them up as well.  At least that keeps the bores lubed and the piston rings move about a bit and the water cooling operates so the thermostats and so on all get tested.  The only engine I neglect is the lawn mower but I have been known to run that mid-winter as well just to keep it sweet.  The exhaust fumes keep the mice out the shed as a bonus ?

I have a hand pump and draw the fuel out after each meeting, I've been practicing outside the house, luckily it's a private rd and is hard packed dirt, I chuck a couple of logs in the road and mess about. Neighbors are fine luckily