Standard vs factory

leosantanalg

Who buys standard bikes instead factory and why? Other than money.  Cant get my hands on a factory 300 2t right now in the USA. Should I just go standard or is worth the wait. Apparently they will be available end of June. Also if anyone really knows the difference of the two ... Can you just buy after market parts and make the standard a "factory" other than color? 

Cases, pipe, forks, handle bar mounts adjustable. Could have different ignition. Rear shock and linkage are different. I would wait. I have a buddy that bought a std 4T a few years ago because he got a deal. His 2 previous bikes were Factory`s. He always rides one of the older Factory bikes when his boys are not riding them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

. ... Can you just buy after market parts and make the standard a "factory" other than color? 

You could but it would cost more.  Equally you could buy after market parts that were not the Beta choices (Ohlins shock for example).  Also you can buy the factory decals so it would look the same irrespective of the parts fitted.

My wife's 2014 model (standard) would definitely benefit from some improved suspension.  Everyone's Beta would probably benefit from some better brakes.  You would have to be a better rider than me or her to really need the engine improvements (to be fair most people are better than either of us).

I would very much like to try a factory model out to see whether it makes sense to buy a completely new bike or just upgrade the suspension and brakes.  My TRS suspension and brakes are noticeably better but it is a newer (17) bike to be fair.  I can see both Reiger and Ohlins back shocks for the Beta but the cost is nearly the same as upgrading the bike to a two-three year old factory model.  The wife is happy with her bike at present so I think it is just a case of looking to buy a newer bike in due course.

If we are locked down much longer there are going to be some bargains about IMHO.  Those people that change their bike to get the "new" model each year might not bother this year.  Plus unsold new stock sitting about right now that no one is going to buy if you cannot use it.

• Like 3

In my younger day's money was tight, i bought lightly used demos, one year old, never had any serious issues with a used Beta. Now i'm older and richer, and i love bling, so i buy brand new Factory editions. But honestly, i would buy a standard model and add an Ohlins or Rieger shock, with some red bling on it and be very happy.  Currently running a 2017 Factory 250 2T and a 2016 Factory 3004T, both with Ohlins shocks that i've had adjusted to my liking, and i don't think the bikes are holding me back. I do wish Beta would put a better rear shocks on their Factory editions. 

When it comes to resale your not likely to get much more for it, so best to run it for as long as you can and pile the hours into it and get your moneys worth out of it, after all, it's the rider that makes the difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, retromlc said:

Carlos which do you prefer the '16 300 4t or the "17 250 2t and why?

Rode 2 stroke all my life, so when i compete i use the 2 stroke 250, you can feel the extra weight of a 4T. Initially i hated the 300 4T, only bought it as an experiment. But the more i rode it (and sorted the jetting out) the more i like it. The 4T still has the very odd time that it will stall if i drop into a hole then have to make a sharp turn back out, happens maybe once every 40 or 50 times. Used to do it nearly every time, so the carb maybe still a bit little off.  Also the 4Ts clutch is a little more off/on, where as the 2T engages a little smoother. With that said i still love the 4T and prefer it on a longer "trail ride".  If i could only have one bike, it would be the Super Smooth 300, a nice compromise between them both. If i could get my wife's permission, I would have one.

• Thanks 1