Cota 348 How old ?

MontyTim348

Hi, I’m going to try and get my Cota 348 road registered. Looks like it’s going to be a right pain, but I’m going to give it a go. I can’t find an engine number but the frame number is 17M7**7 according to a website I’ve looked at, the number should begin 51M

http://www.lamaneta.org/numerochasis/montesa.html

Any thoughts ?

Cheers, Tim

9D0CD4F4-16CF-4307-8B9D-D5A0E31BA010.jpeg

5F5A1BFC-0A0B-4F29-8378-5903B9FA5ED7.jpeg

It sure looks like a 348 frame to me.

It was a very distinctive series of frames with the removable pieces that go from the swingarm pivot to the cylinder head. All the 348s and the first two 349s had those struts like that. Yours has had extra plates fitted for the footpeg relocation but otherwise looks standard for a Cota 348.

As for the engine number, do you know where to look but it has been erased or you just haven't found it?

The tank graphics are 1978 model 348

Edited by feetupfun

The decals on the tank/seat unit might indicate the bikes age as 1978. The manufactured year dates are not to clear on the websites. I have a 1976 348 Malcom Rathmell Replica but it could easily be a 1977. The MRR was only made for one year then the signature was removed from the seat/tank unit, but reintroduced at some later stage....just to add confusion. I am no font of knowledge on this but for registration purposes contact the Montesa Importer in the UK and ask if they will supply you with either a dating certificate or letter of confirmation as to the year of manufacture.

I see you or someone has moved the footrests down and back, neat job! Watch that kickstart....you can knock a hole in the crankcase if you swing the kicker too far round.....check out on this website. Enjoy your 348 it should pull like a train and be quite spritely on the road too!

12 hours ago, b40rt said:

You don't need an engine no to register the bike if your in the uk.

Yes, I'm in the UK. Ok, thanks, I shan't stress too much over the engine number. The frame number is proving to be a bit of a weird one though.

37 minutes ago, section swept said:

The decals on the tank/seat unit might indicate the bikes age as 1978. The manufactured year dates are not to clear on the websites. I have a 1976 348 Malcom Rathmell Replica but it could easily be a 1977. The MRR was only made for one year then the signature was removed from the seat/tank unit, but reintroduced at some later stage....just to add confusion. I am no font of knowledge on this but for registration purposes contact the Montesa Importer in the UK and ask if they will supply you with either a dating certificate or letter of confirmation as to the year of manufacture.

I see you or someone has moved the footrests down and back, neat job! Watch that kickstart....you can knock a hole in the crankcase if you swing the kicker too far round.....check out on this website. Enjoy your 348 it should pull like a train and be quite spritely on the road too!

Ok, thank you, I'm expecting it to be around '78/'79 so what you've said helps to substantiate that. I'll watch that kick start now you've mentioned it, it's not something I was aware of. You're right about it's power, my previous bike was a GG TXT280 I wasn't expecting too much from a 40 year old Montesa, I was wrong !

Cheers, Tim.

1 hour ago, bigshineybike said:

On mine the engine number is just a hand stamped number the same as the frame number but without the letters. I have two spare cases and they are roughly hand stamped too. the number is near to the front frame lug

Ok, thank you, I'll take a closer look to where you've said.

21 hours ago, MontyTim348 said:

Ok, thanks, I'll try and contact a montesa importer and see what records they have.

Picture shows frame tubes are in place, and the perforated plate in place to. Also the foot rests look like early S3’s ?

Edited by section swept
Added info