Ty 250 mono help please

dannyboi

Hello

I just picked up this beautiful 1985 250 mono, however it’s got a couple of weird things about it

The rear is super stiff, I do not believe it has anything to do with the shock it feels like something else, it will go down a bit but not come back up

also the front caliper rocks forwards and backwards, is this normal?

It’s actually unridable atm, all the linkage bearings are newish and the swing arm I believe also

any ideas guys? Just paid £2000 for this bike, other than these points it is lovely

Thanks

I think with the rear suspension, you are going to need to get the bike up and remove the rear wheel, then the shock and manually push and pull the swinging arm and linkages to check for binding, what you describe could be typical of a bent piston rod in the shock.

It has had a disc conversion on the front, I tightened it all up and it stopped moving by hand, but still moves back and forth when braking

took everything apart this morning, all linkages seem fine and I regreased them but when I tighten the swingarm spindle once it gets to a certain point of tightness it starts binding

ive tightened it up so much just before it starts binding, lock tighted it and went for a ride, moves more freely now but still creaks 

however, every little bump and the tire is hitting the rear fender, if I sit at the back of the bike it is rubbing constantly

not too sure what to do now ?

thanks for your replies

My guess with the arm would be incorrect assy by someone, or perhaps something left out, it should be possible to tighten it without tightening, as for the bottoming out, is the shock the right one? or perhaps the linkages have been assembled incorrectly./

• Like 2

Are the front caliper mounting bolts too small in diameter, either to the fork leg or a bracket if fitted ?

If, as you say, it's the caliper itself that's moving then it must be the wrong bolts.

Could it be worn disc to hub mounts you're feeling ?