HELP!!! What Trials Bike is This

Johnny Halidy

i just bought a Trials Bike of unknown orgins. id like to know what it it, it looks to be a DOT but im not sure. it also might have a Villiers engine but again im not sure hahah. i would like to know what engine it has so i can find parts.

the frame vin is : what might be an H 530350

engine case vin is : A2502DCR 3966

Trials Bike.jpg

Edited by Johnny Halidy

• Andy changed the title to HELP!!! What Trials Bike is This

Starmaker engine was primarily used for Scrambles (MX). The overall look of the bike points to that type of use.  High front guard, smallish rear sprocket, etc. If you got it running, you might just find it a bit lively for trials work.  There's a DOT (Devoid of Trouble) tank badge present. Lots of parts from other makes . No idea what the frame is.The lights tend to lend it to it being a one off special trail bike. Might make a useful classic scrambler. Will certainly upset the neighbours if you rode it down the street. 

• Like 2

The engine is a Villiers Starmaker contact Villiers Services here in the UK for all you need.

Frame is a DOT which would have had DOT leading link forks fitted when new, the forks currently fitted could be MP Metal Profiles.

Uncertain about the wheels earlier DOT bikes had pressed steel British Hub Company 40 spoke hubs, then later usually on the square tube framed bikes Grimeca alloy full width hubs which were 36 spoke.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&id=1AECF324898D4A4997662D6A96C460A958C0B0FA&thid=OIP.2GaDQ1durw9lLnBEulx_TAHaE5&mediaurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimg2.thejournal.ie%2Finline%2F4256348%2Foriginal%2F%3Fwidth%3D630%26version%3D4256348&exph=417&expw=630&q=dot+scrambles+motorcycle&selectedindex=13&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Edited by trialsrfun

I agree the frame could be DOT, but from the early 60's probably a trials marshall and would have left the factory with a 197 or 250 villiers engine and leading link forks. That is a very late starmaker engine so spares will probably be easier obtained from AJS. I would refit a villiers engine and steepen up the fork rake

• 1 month later...

• 3 months later...

• 3 weeks later...

Quite a bitza.

Frame almost definitely DOT as mentioned above. Late 50's/early 60s? Rear frame loop bent up considerably looks non-standard

Tank looks like Bantam

Forks look early Montesa. Front wheel maybe too. Forks much longer than original DOT leading link forks, hence the raked out look.

Have no idea about the triples/yokes or rear wheel

That engine prefix is AJS Stormer MX engine. A bit frisky for trials but more modern design than 9E/32A/37A favoured for trials.

Anything can be fixed with the right knowhow.

Edited by jc2